Thread: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim with GeForce GTX 580

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim with GeForce GTX 580

Hello all, initially I was thinking that this is a console port and it’s the game play that matters the most. I am running on a GeForce GTX 580on Ultra settings. I booted up fraps to see what was happening during the first part of the game and it was around 40 fps. I expected better than this and that it is the reason that I was surprised. When we finally got outside it shot up to 60fps. Shouldn't this be the other way around? I want to ask you all that how are you finding the game so far?

Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim with GeForce GTX 580

This is most likely seem to be a VSync issue. If ‘you wish to disable VSync in Skyrim, add iPresentInterval=0 to the bottom of the [Display] section of the Skyrim.ini file in the \Users\[Username]\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim directory.

I am having a pair of GTX 580's and I am hoping to be able to run in surround across 3 1920 X 1200 monitors. The Witcher 2 runs at that resolution just fine and looks awesome. I will let everyone know when I get the game tomorrow. I also want to ask that do we have to mess about in config files to get it too run smooth on a gtx580? if this is a consol port surly it would run even faster?

I have a gtx 580, overclocked to 1GHz and I have the same issue as mentioned above frame rate is about 40 and many of the times it drops below 30. But I noticed a weird thing that MSI shows that GPU usage is at 40% most of the time and when the fps drop occurs. GPU is using drops even below 10%. This is just what I think about this. Lets wait and see what other people post.

When I first got this then there were multiple thoughts that came into my mind. Firstly I thought that the there is no enough RAM but that was not the issue as it was using around 3 GB of RAM and I am having 4 GB. Second thing that comes into my mind is that the HDD is very slow. So I reinstalled the game to my SSD but that also do not worked for me. Finally I noticed that it is making use of just one core and so I think that this is the problem with that.

This can be the problem with the outdated or corrupted driver. So you can update your graphic driver and see if that can let you out of the issue or not. Please do that and reply us back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mollyi7 View Post
    This can be the problem with the outdated or corrupted driver. So you can update your graphic driver and see if that can let you out of the issue or not. Please do that and reply us back.
    This is not a driver issue, this is a dev-side issue. In Skyrim, MSI Afterburner reports sub 50% gpu utilization and my CPU isn't being taxed much either. Ram Usage stays low as well. Major kudos for a company actually concerned about scaling this to lower end systems, but what about those people who are having the higher ones.

The reason that I bought two GTX 580 was to be able to play games on the highest setting, with atleast 60fps. This isn't an issue of having to tweak the settings to make it perform well, I shouldn't have to. Just one of my cards should be able to play this in ultra with 60fps. Some people are content with 30-50 fps, but I'm not, I prefer over 60 if it can be achieved. It’s an engine design flaw. The engine prefers high IPC cpu's like the 2500k and 2600k at 4ghz-4.5ghz (The game still only uses 50%). Rewriting the Render to utilize GPU differently is no easy task. AMD and Nvidia did not participate in the PC Port unlike BF3.

My skyrim runs good at 60 fps 2600k CPU clocked 4.5 GHz and uses all cores. 480gtx gpu clocked 850 MHz v-sync on 8 GB memory 1866 MHz with no problem and no lag. I really liked the game as I am getting steady 60 fps all the time.

What I don't understand is this. If you can play with all the things at ultra High maxed settings at say, 50-60fps then are you going to notice a difference at 100fps? I know it makes you feel justified in the unneeded purchase of two already awesome video cards, but I think the issue is more of a configuration issue than Bethesda's. I have Skyrim installed on an ssd with nothing else on it. I am still getting dips in fps in the low 40's with all settings maxed. It seems to be linked to loading of assets when approaching villages, etc. Hopefully a patch or two will smooth the texture loading and help-out. Same thing happens to a lesser extent in Witcher 2. As we know, Witcher 2 was pc exclusive so we can't really blame the consoles.

I am not sure if this has been mentioned but check your core usuage on your cpu. i have a q6600 and this game pumps all four cores. Now I have the q6600 sony theory is this. The amd and newer cpu use true multi cores where each core is its own entity. Whereas when the q6600 was released it was essentially two dual core cpus fused with the same cache. So make sure your cores are being utilized and if not try setting the affinity of the game to skip using core 0 and use the others. I have had no issues with the game and have run the game 6 hours without issues. Also try setting the priority of the game to higher than normal.

This isn't an issue of needing to tweak the settings to make it perform well, I shouldn't need to. Simply one of my cards ought to have the capacity to play this in ultra with 60fps. Some individuals are content with 30-50 fps, but I'm not, I lean toward over 60 in the event that it can be attained. It's a motor objective imperfection.