Thread: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim runs very badly on some machines

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim runs very badly on some machines

I am trying to run this game on the system with below configuration:
    • ATI Radeon 5870
    • AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 3.2GHz
    • 4GB RAM
    • 1920x1080
    • Windows 7 64-bit

I am getting absolutely terrible lag. I am going into the 20's-30's in White run. I've heard some people with the Geforce 580 are getting lag, surely it's not just me then. I am unsure that if the Bethesda even aware of this. I heard Patch 1.1 ruined it, is there a way to revert back to the original? Is this true?

Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim runs very badly on some machines

I am trying to revert now. I just uninstalled the game and I hope turning off the automatic updates for Steam on Skyrim, I can play without updating. If I can, my life is saved. I will come back to you after that.

Well, I don’t think that there is some other way to revert to the original game other than re-installing the game and then not installing the patch. This is just what I think about this. It’s weird that a lot of people are getting bad FPS on their really decent rigs, but me on my 4 year old machine with settings on medium, it runs like a charm. I can say that this is optimized for the console.

Most of the people do not prefer this way but then also I want to share this here that there are many of the people who found that reinstalling the Windows will most probably have no effect on the game's performance. Don't waste your time. This is nothing but the Bethesda's fault that they didn't optimize their game. Or this can also b because there are a lot of programs installed on your computer and for that reason you are facing the issues like this. So just end all the other processes that are running on your computer and see if that can make any difference to the game performance.

If you are having some antivirus or firewall installed on your computer then that can be the reason for this issue. If you wish to check that then you can try by disabling that and see if that can make any difference to this.

Reinstalling the game did not work as one can't disable automatic updates until the game is installed, and then it's too late. When the game starts updating it automatically deletes the old files therefore I am missing tons of vital files which are supposed to be downloaded. This is the reason that reverting is not possible unless you can cut off your internet while the game is installed so that the update never will commence or you can somehow hinder Steam in starting the update at all.

I am having doubt that it will do anything. All the things had issues with Dead Island, yet mine ran flawlessly. Now it seems the opposite is happening to me for Skyrim. It would be good to talk to some people about potential fixes/patches etc. Could you possibly be able to disable it first and then reinstall.

Have you disable automatic updates before you uninstalled? This is just a thought of mine about this. I am willing to try it out if you haven't. It's extremely obvious that Bethesda do not give a flying [censored] about PC development anymore. Do they know the game is a buggy mess that runs like crap.

I can bet that Bethesda know all about what's happening but customer feedback hasn't been their strong point since before the Morrowind days, performance is low, GPU and CPU usage is low, clearly this is going to take driver updates and patches. I agree with the shameful neglect of PC releases these days, I thought Bethesda was making some progress in this department but the interface and issues with the PC version dashed all those hopes. On the bright side the game itself is a vast improvement.

I am having terrible performance, is this due to my less than stellar laptop? I ahve heard of people having way better rigs as compared to mine and they are having even bigger problems with the game.
    • Intel Corei3-390M
    • NVIDIA GeForce GT540M
    • 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM
    • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    • 1366x768 resolutions

It runs RAGE just fine on medium, so why can't it run Skyrim without low fps?

I am presently making use of the sli gtx 580's and getting very low fps outside and inside it struggles to stay above 60. The opening sequence of the game was all over the place, 28-45 fps on ultra. I have not played any further than the first indoor area subsequent to running from the dragon. I rushed through to get outside to see if there was any difference but there was none whatsoever. I even turned everything to low for the opening sequence and it dropped to 52 fps during one of the scenes.

It sounds like it's more driver or hardware incompatibilities than optimization. I've seen posts from people with FAR less powerful cards running it smoothly (over 30 fps without hanging like this post describes). I'm not defending the seemingly common key remapping and mouse functionality bugs though.

Make sure that your system is fulfilling the requirement for the game. If your system is lacking in this then you will get the issues like this.