Thread: How to save FoV properly in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

How to save FoV properly in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I am quite sure that you will require adding it to skyrimprefs.ini but adding it to both which is there under the “Display” section to be sure. In my case, this worked to keep the FoV saved at what I set it to. Otherwise, when just using the console fov command, it would revert back to default any time I would kick out to third person or look at the map and come back. I just came to know about this and so I thought that I must share that with you people.

Re: How to save FoV properly in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Hey, this is seem to happen with me as well. It actually occurs when I enter to the enter/exit the loading screen. I hope that someone will reply soon with the solution of this.

My problem specifically is when fast traveling/zoning the FOV of weapons/shield gets reverted back to default while the actual screen real estate remains fov=90. To fix the zoomed in weapons I would have to set fov 90 again.

The instructions specified in the first post are wrong. The FOV tweak goes in the Display section of the INI and not the General section. At least, that is how I got it to work. You might also want to set your config files to read-only. You won't be able to change options in-game that way but it will avoid the launcher overriding your changes.

I want to ask that which .ini did you change? I am asking this because there are two skyrimprefs.ini. Out of which one is:

C:\Users\"user"\Documents\My Games\Skyrim

And another one in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Skyrim

Quote Originally Posted by B-P-ti View Post
    I want to ask that which .ini did you change? I am asking this because there are two skyrimprefs.ini. Out of which one is:

C:\Users\"user"\Documents\My Games\Skyrim

And another one in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Skyrim
    I have placed those within every .ini possible and it still resets my fov whenever checking the map.

Check the distance your weapon is from your screen after putting 'fov 90'. Once you are done with that then check your map then check the distance of your weapon from your screen again. Is the weapon much closer? Do you have to retype 'fov 90' in console to get it to look further from your screen again? I have never had issues with something that usually are censored straight to the point like changing some .ini values. By the way, if you use the console is the change to fov permanent? I can't seem to set a different fov after saving the first change.

For me, I using fDefaultWorldFoV and that works to keep the view itself at 85 degrees where I prefer it. However, it does not alter the viewmodel FoV. I have doubt that fDefaultViewModelFoV is a valid command but this is what you guys are basically looking for from the sound of it. Personally, I prefer not to have a matched viewmodel FoV since when in first person the character is just a set of floating arms and it's likely to see how they are oddly cut off at the shoulders when swinging a weapon. I would like to see more of the viewmodel without the cutoff, if only to get the damn weapon I am carrying into better view but I have no idea how to force set that permanently.

Is the weapon much closer? Do you need to retype 'fov 90' in comfort to get it to look encourage from your screen again? I have never had issues with something that commonly are controlled straight to the focus such as modifying some .ini qualities.