Thread: Vertical vs. Horizontal Mouse Sensitivity in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Vertical vs. Horizontal Mouse Sensitivity in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

After rummaging through the INI files I managed to disable VSync and mouse acceleration, vastly improving the mouse control. However, I am still having trouble with looking up and down in the game, because the vertical mouse sensitivity is only about half or less of the horizontal sensitivity. This is driving me nuts. In the gameplay settings menu there is only a single mouse sensitivity slider and the option to invert the vertical mouse axis ... has someone found a INI setting to have the same sensitivity for looking up and down as for looking left and right? The game seems to be fun, but with this odd mouse control I cannot really play it.

Re: Vertical vs. Horizontal Mouse Sensitivity in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The mouse moves fine inside the menus, horizontal and vertical speed are the same, but controlling my character looking up and down is like slowly dragging the mouse through syrup. Since there is a damn dragon flying through the sky overhead, I would like to look at it from time to time, but I can't. Raising my characters chin is an effort, rather than a given.

I cannot play the game because of this. It makes me feel ill. I've been playing Elder Scrolls games since Daggerfall and this was my most anticipated game of the year. I even took tomorrow off from work to play this game and now I cannot even play because something as simple as mouse sensitivity was ruined in this game. Extremely disappointed.

Mine certainly feels "odd" but I wouldn’t say unplayable. May not be of any help but if you have a Razer mouse, their software lets you manually set X and Y axis sensitivity, so could adjust before starting the game, or alt tab (assuming you’re not also having the alt-tab issues). Not ideal but possibly a workaround for some people. I think it lets you save the sensitivity settings as profiles too so wouldn’t be constantly tweaking, just swap from one to the other.

Changing fMouseHeadingSensitivity in ini has no effect in my game. I can set it to 1.0000 or 0.0001 and it’s still the same ingame. Only half working solution is vastly increasing mouse sensitivity in game menu. That way moving mouse left/right will be fast as [censored], but at least moving up/down will be almost normal. Still waiting for something from Bethesda, it’s their problem to fix.

Similar issues here. Oddly enough, it seems to be different inside vs outside. Vertical mouse sensitivity is much, much lower than horizontal when outside - but when I go into (say) a building, they seem much closer to each other, or vertical may even be more sensitive than horizontal. Sensitivity also seems much higher overall when in the inventory, or selecting dialogue options. I have got a Logitech G9 mouse which lets you switch between several dpi settings for the mouse on the fly, using buttons on the mouse. Currently I have to use three different settings while playing the game, switching between them very frequently.

I absolutely agree, I can't stand it when developers remove and restrict basic functions of their products through arrogance and short sightedness. I don't even believe that removing user control is a legitimate way of pandering to a technologically illiterate audience. Even if somebody is not familiar with the concept of input lag and mouse smoothing, inadequacies in these areas WILL be perceived by players and described as 'bad controls' or 'sluggish aiming'. If developers insist on implementing these mechanisms that absolutely no informed PC gamer would support, they must at least give us the option of bypassing them. Bethesda has built an unenviable reputation for releasing completely broken products and taking ages to fix them. If they release a single item of charged DLC before fixing this issue they will lose me as a customer forever.

The axes aren't synchron. Well it’s possible to fix it by input it manually how mentioned, but if i change the sensibility ingame its gone again. Other problem is that it accelerates. So moving to slow by looking a bit around, and if i want to make a bigger swing, i accelerate too much. In the menu its working fine, but trying to run around and fighting is nearly impossible so. I readed some time ago, that it was told that the game will be developed for the consoles as lead platform. It actually looked for me they made a fast convert of the game for pc, watched if it works and then they released it without testing if the mouse is working correctly. So i hope for a fast patch. Otherwise the game isn't playable for me with mouse and that’s a shame because its running smooth and well on my system, expect the mouse. And even because the Creation Kit isn't developed i can't do much with the game for now.

I do think the y-axis sensitivity changes as I play, seemingly at random I feel like I have to move the mouse downward like crazy just to try and point at a corpse to loot, other times it feels ok, either way, X-Axis sensitivity always feels perfect, so it's obviously some weird bug. I wonder if it's to do with it being a console port, and some poor function converting "mouse-movements" into controller equivalents, and then processing the controller equivalents as actual screen movements, rather than it having actual, native mouse support.

I just played for a while with fraps running, and my FPS range goes from a bottom of 50 in towns to 300 in small houses. The game seems to get about unplayable over 150 or so. I tried capping my fps, but I get horrible flickering/stuttering when I look up and down, like its snapping my view back to the needed sensitivity with every few frames.