Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC Shutdown while playing the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

PC Shutdown while playing the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I have to say that so far I like the game. However, within 24 hours or less since I started playing, twice my computer has spontaneously turns off while I was in the game. No "started off", but "BAM", closed without notice in a blink of an eye. I've had this computer for two and a half years without finding a problem, and since the beginning of today Skyrim suspect is the cause. Any idea what might be causing this? I worry that my PC can damage it if it continues.

Re: PC Shutdown while playing the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Something in the hardware must be overheating, could be the GPU or CPU, check your temperature. And make sure that the temperature is correct for the processor you are using.

You and I, and at least 2 people are having this problem. I can play Crysis to GTA4, both far more demanding and have not stopped, so I know it's not a hardware failure. That cannot be a coincidence

Quote Originally Posted by Jung View Post
    You and I, and at least 2 people are having this problem. I can play Crysis to GTA4, both far more demanding and have not stopped, so I know it's not a hardware failure. That cannot be a coincidence
    When you are troubleshooting you cannot give an answer like this. Download MSI Afterburner and Coretemp and prepare a report with its highs after a session of play. Also be sure to send your CPU / GPU and the type of power they have. I've never seen a hard shutdown (no blue screen) that is not caused by overheating, a power failure or lack of RAM. Driver issues, and basically anything that touches Skyrim may translate into a blue screen at worst. I'm not saying it is not Skyrim, but it probably is, so that all closures to get the report of the CPU / GPU temps after playing if they realize the issue, including technical specifications of the system (including and power supply company).

Well you wanted to know the temperature of the computer and also the processor which I am using it, so the below is the temperatures of the all and you can have a look on it.
    • Tj. Max: 98℃
    • Core #0: 51℃ (Min. 49℃ Max 65℃)
    • Core #1: 50℃ (Min. 47℃ Max 63℃)
    • Core #2: 51℃ (Min. 49℃ Max 62℃)
    • Core #3: 49℃ (Min. 47℃ Max 62℃)

Quote Originally Posted by PurviJ View Post
    Well you wanted to know the temperature of the computer and also the processor which I am using it, so the below is the temperatures of the all and you can have a look on it.
    • Tj. Max: 98℃
    • Core #0: 51℃ (Min. 49℃ Max 65℃)
    • Core #1: 50℃ (Min. 47℃ Max 63℃)
    • Core #2: 51℃ (Min. 49℃ Max 62℃)
    • Core #3: 49℃ (Min. 47℃ Max 62℃)
    I feel there are enough people with this exact problem that it is unlikely that all equipment is having heat issues with this unique game. If it helps I'm having this problem and my max temps are in the range of 65-70 degrees Celsius, which is acceptable. Afterburner says my GPU temperature was between 45-50 degrees Celsius when the accident occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimos View Post
    When you are troubleshooting you cannot give an answer like this. Download MSI Afterburner and Coretemp and prepare a report with its highs after a session of play. Also be sure to send your CPU / GPU and the type of power they have. I've never seen a hard shutdown (no blue screen) that is not caused by overheating, a power failure or lack of RAM. Driver issues, and basically anything that touches Skyrim may translate into a blue screen at worst. I'm not saying it is not Skyrim, but it probably is, so that all closures to get the report of the CPU / GPU temps after playing if they realize the issue, including technical specifications of the system (including and power supply company).
    Okay, the sound convinced it was a hardware problem on my side, I on my GPU clock mining code and ran a 2 hour trip, putting my GPU and CPU at 100% load. Trust me, Skyrim not come close to 100% load, so if my computer can handle this, which is a problem of Skyrim.

I had the same problem with other games. It proved a bad driver from Nvidia. Some people say it's impossible, but they suck cock. My team was cold as hell with him and a liquid cooling into the menu tomorrow GTA SA my pc just shut down by itself. He lit it and it was good, and when he entered the menu again became again! The same thing next time. Reinstalled the Nvidia GFX driver and guess what no more problems: the conclusion: I cannot say if the problem is the same.

I have the same weird problem. My pc suddenly shuts down after about 30m of playing time, I'm sure it's because of overheating. What I also am positive about is that he has never done this in much more demanding games I've played for more than 30 meters (such as 4-hour sessions SC2). I run it on the medium setting, but that could run on high, just tried to minimize the burden of GPU, but it seems that no matter the configuration. There must be some sort of code problem, making the game through my GPU burn without good reason. Now I have tried to update drivers and sound using the revision, none of them works. It keeps closing my pc after about 30m. This is too embarrassing for words, some of the problems cropping, maybe even a small sound decision, and things are fine. However, random stops, accidents desktop unacceptable to the launch of an AAA title. Also, Oblivion looked better on my AMD Athlon 3500 + with a Geforce GT6800 Skyrim you do in my current computer (which works very well SC2). I do not understand this shit, how bad can optimize a game for pc?

Quote Originally Posted by Badmannah View Post
    I have the same weird problem. My pc suddenly shuts down after about 30m of playing time, I'm sure it's because of overheating. What I also am positive about is that he has never done this in much more demanding games I've played for more than 30 meters (such as 4-hour sessions SC2). I run it on the medium setting, but that could run on high, just tried to minimize the burden of GPU, but it seems that no matter the configuration. There must be some sort of code problem, making the game through my GPU burn without good reason. Now I have tried to update drivers and sound using the revision, none of them works. It keeps closing my pc after about 30m. This is too embarrassing for words, some of the problems cropping, maybe even a small sound decision, and things are fine. However, random stops, accidents desktop unacceptable to the launch of an AAA title. Also, Oblivion looked better on my AMD Athlon 3500 + with a Geforce GT6800 Skyrim you do in my current computer (which works very well SC2). I do not understand this shit, how bad can optimize a game for pc?
    My fans are even stronger when playing Skyrim. I do not think overheating. I am very happy that other people have the problem though. I found someone on YouTube with it too

I'm getting the same thing. I have a very stable system that plows through everything I can throw at it. (i7 with 12gb of ram.) I have been trying to find a pattern in the shutdowns from Skyrim but its a mystery. It can happen after 20 min or 2 hours. It doesn't seem to happen when the game is putting a high load on the graphics card. Just random. Its shocking that the computer just reboots! I have haven't seen anything like it!

I am also having this issue. When I am running my PC without the game going I am reading the temps around 42-48 C. I justed started using coretemp to see what is going on. My temperature after shutdown, as looking at it during the BIOS after restart, was at 112 C to 115 C. There seems to be an issue with Skyrim I would think. This is a new vid card I am running though soi I cannot tell what the temp was for the vid card but an AMD hitting 122 C will certainly cause a shutdown.

You can just change the PSU (Power Supply Unit) of the PC and see are you getting the problem yet. Sometimes the video card which you uses is perfect but the PSU which is installed might create the problem which is similar while playing this game. so you can try some other PSU on your computer and it might worked for you, this is what I think about the problem.

It's either a driver issue or perhaps a steam issue that is the cause of this mess.

I to am having the exact same issue, in fact it's the reason I am not playing Skyrim right now. I am running a AMD quad core processor, a 1500W Enermax PSU and a brand new GTX580 (3GB). I can run any other game without issue, no random black screens requiring me to restart my computer, nothing, but randomly while playing this game, boom, black screen.

Now the reason I hint at it being a steam issue, is because I was using a downloaded copy (For the record, I don't support downloading games, but my copy of Skyrim was caught up in the mail and I really needed something to do over the weekend.) and I played from 8am sunday morning until 4am monday morning and I didn't have a single issue, no game crashes, no freezing, nothing.

The moment I install the steam version, I get freezes at the start (couldn't jump down into the river below the drawbridge in the tutorial for the bag of gold, had to run all the way around) and I get these random crashes at the most inconvenient times (when fighting a boss, and three bears respectively)

Take that as you will, but right now I am guessing either a driver issue or a steam issue.

Quote Originally Posted by PurviJ View Post
    I have to say that so far I like the game. However, within 24 hours or less since I started playing, twice my computer has spontaneously turns off while I was in the game. No "started off", but "BAM", closed without notice in a blink of an eye. I've had this computer for two and a half years without finding a problem, and since the beginning of today Skyrim suspect is the cause. Any idea what might be causing this? I worry that my PC can damage it if it continues.
    I could hardly put the CPU under 100% loads for 3 hours or more, nothing. Run Furmark at full bore for hours, nothing. Trino play for a long time? Poof. Off. (I could also make this happen in FEAR 3, but for some reason, it was easier to get the problem occurs Trine. Yet I have no idea why.) I thought it was a software problem / driver, too, until finally store the old PSU started out as a last resort and stayed in a new one. Problem disappeared. I'm not saying that the problem is exactly the same as mine, but I would not be willing to jump on the as "it's a software problem" bandwagon just because diagnostic tests / loading past. Hard closures are typically indicative of hardware, not software problems. If you have this problem that would eliminate all the obvious possibilities: RAM overheating, bad, and bad power supply.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast