Thread: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim game freezing continuously while in the world

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim game freezing continuously while in the world

Hello friends, everything went well during the first hour or two. Now I'm getting random freezes. It started when I got to Dragonsreach. The game freezes for a solid 10 seconds, the audio will continue the screen flashes a few times, and then will be fine. This happens once every 2-3 minutes. Has crashed twice on the desktop when it happened, this indicates that the display driver failed. Trying to figure out if this is happening to someone else, and if anyone has any ideas for a fix. So please help me. Thank you.

Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim game freezing continuously while in the world

I was having this trouble too, and only trip up upon a solution that worked for me at least. The Windows sound device is set to output in 24-bit 192 kHz. When I set this to 44.1 kHz 16 bit solved the problem! So to check, in win7 you can go to the Control Panel in the control panel go to the Hardware and Sound and then select the Sound. Choose the sound device is set as default, click on the Properties. Go to the advanced tab and make sure the "Default Format" is set to 44.1 kHz 16 bit. In fact was able to set mine to 96 kHz 24-bit and works so well, but does not seem like it at 192 kHz.

I checked. It was at 44.1 kHz 16 bit. I'll try moving it around. I do not think that it might be problem of that it might be the problem of something else and also I have to checked that also.

I have the same problem. It seems to be worse in areas outdoors. That became more frequent the more I played. I've tried everything, turn off and on all settings, reinstall the game, apply the patch, unplug all of my devices, etc. Even tried to change the audio at 44.1 kHz or whatever, still no luck.

I have the same problem. It seems to be worse in areas outdoors. That became more frequent the more I played. I've tried everything, turn off and on all settings, reinstall the game, apply the patch, unplug all of my devices, etc. Even tried to change the audio at 44.1 kHz or whatever, still no luck.

I guess it's a broader issue then, regardless Skyrim I think it is working very consistent on my system. There are no accidents or mistakes of any kind, do not expect it from Bethesda - ignoring minor stuttering when moving the game is playing very well. (Compared to the version of Oblivion)

I have the same problem. The game runs very well (40 + FPS) for me in settings with 4xAA and high 8xAF, but occasionally freezes for a few seconds at random. Stuttering cannot be loaded because it also freezes when not moving at all. Since it only happens every 5 minutes or less (but randomly, sometimes every minute, sometimes it will not freeze for 10 minutes) and freezing only lasts 3 seconds, the game is playable, but it's still annoying. I had no star yet.

Realtek drivers are known for going bat [expletive] crazy. Taking into account that have the same problem, and Realtek onboard sound card, and I had a problem like this in the past with another RPG (I think it was Fallout 3, the figures as it is on the same engine) I'm pretty sure it is a Realtek driver issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MACALL View Post
    Realtek drivers are known for going bat [expletive] crazy. Taking into account that have the same problem, and Realtek onboard sound card, and I had a problem like this in the past with another RPG (I think it was Fallout 3, the figures as it is on the same engine) I'm pretty sure it is a Realtek driver issue.
    I have a Realtek as well. Do not have a problem with other games so far, though (like Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Oblivion). But if everyone in this area has a Realtek card, then it may be the cause. I would try to turn off the sound and music in the lead, but I cannot find an entry for it anywhere like in Oblivion. Any way to completely disable the sound for the test (adjusting the sound level to 0 in the game menu, it probably does not help, since it only sets the volume to 0, but not completely disable the sound / music).

Quote Originally Posted by MACALL View Post
    I had similar problem with F3, but also used to freeze my PC all I needed to cold start. Skyrim freeze for about 5-years 10 and continues as normal and it froze my computer once in a while. However, both games are running on a slightly different engine.