Thread: Solid State Drive and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Solid State Drive and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I am very much intimidated at the load speeds with the Skyrim and my SSD. I literally only have to wait 2 seconds for loading screens. I don't even have enough time to read the text in the screen! I can say that the loading speed is really amazing. I just needed to share this you people and if somebody of you is having some same experience like me then please share that with me.

Re: Solid State Drive and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I am making use of the regular HDD (2TB, 7200rpm, 64mb cache, SATA III 6GB/s) and can't read the text other than in the initial load into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Enos View Post
    I am making use of the regular HDD (2TB, 7200rpm, 64mb cache, SATA III 6GB/s) and can't read the text other than in the initial load into the game.
    I have a SSD but my Steam folder is on HDD for now. I am experiencing horrendous loading (sometimes 3 seconds long) outside. I want to ask that if those gone on SSD?

Hello Annamalai, I would like to tell you that I am not having any stutter or hiccups as you call them. The game has run perfectly for me. Maybe the hiccups have to do with the video cards or drivers and not necessarily the hard drive you have?

You can search for the 'mklink' on google and learn about what it does and how to use it. Gist of it though: Its better then a short cut and will let you move your skyrim folder to your SSD and then make a link back to it from within your steam folder so that steam hasn't a clue its not really there but somewhere else. End result: You can have your steam based games on your SSD. It is a brilliant little tool for this sort of thing and how I am side stepping steam's need to have everything installed inside of one behemoth folder as well so I can employ my SSD.

There are many of the people who are facing problem with the texture. I am not one of those people who spout off that immersion stuff but it really does hurt the experience for me. Especially like when I am in a room with bookshelves, tables etc and they all look like blurry blocks then you have semi decent potion textures and book textures on them.

I noticed the low texture resolution and low-poly models even in the preview screen-shots. I even made a thread about it, asking whether the PC version would include optional high-res textures. Indeed that is pretty bad, but seriously 2D rope in a 2011 game thats credited for graphics, and again (sorry for the repeat), the extreme attention to detail that was stated. I understand the consoles limitations but 2D rope?! ^^ Also, if they think no one would notice. i take that as an insult.

All they have to do is create the textures as high resolution textures..at least 1024x1024 nice textures. Use those on PC for the Ultra setting, scale those down (As they have to do anyways for the other low / med settings). You can make use of the appropriate one for the Xbox. It would have taken only a slight bit more work. No more work actually as they had to do the same process anyways. The only difference would have been making better textures on the first step.

I would have been happy with two discs in order for the game to have the adequate textures implemented. Heck, I would have rather it come out next year so the game could be more polished.

I am actually not disagreeing that the textures could/should have been better (using a large map). Being in the industry a little bit I can also see their standpoint when making them... to a point. I'm still having fun playing and can live with them. I play on the 360 right now and how 0 graphic issues other than up close on many (but not all) close range graphics. Whether or not they release an even higher resolution texture or not what important to me. It’s that I'm having fun and it isn't a "deal breaker" for me.

This is seem to be the resolution problem. So what you can do is tey by changing the resolution of your system and see if that helps you to get out of the issue or not.