Thread: getting "failed to initialize renderer" error while playing Skyrim through bootcamp

getting "failed to initialize renderer" error while playing Skyrim through bootcamp

Hi all,

I'm new here and I would like to ask a question regarding a problem I encountered whilst trying to play Skyrim on Windows through bootcamp.
    Ok, so I have a 2011 macbook pro, intel i7 and 4gb RAM.
    When I open steam, and click "play", a small window entitled skyrim appears. Then a window saying: "failed to initialize renderer" also appears.
    However, I also have parallels desktop, and I don't have this problem when I play Skyrim, it's just that it's REALLY slow. Barely playable. I installed Skyrim onto an external harddrive. Would this have an effect on the gameplay?
    I payed £34 for Skyrim and I really want to be able to play it. Any help is much appreciated,

Euan.

Re: getting "failed to initialize renderer" error while playing Skyrim through bootcamp

Normally, the error "failed to initialize renderer" generates if you have an old drivers for your graphics card, so try to update it to the latest version of the graphics card and then check if Skyrim is working or not. For some people it launches in a small window by srtting something like this - Full Screen=1
    iSize W=1920
    iSize H=1080

Re: getting "failed to initialize renderer" error while playing Skyrim through bootcamp

Quote Originally Posted by Euansmith View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new here and I would like to ask a question regarding a problem I encountered whilst trying to play Skyrim on Windows through bootcamp.
    Ok, so I have a 2011 macbook pro, intel i7 and 4gb RAM.
    When I open steam, and click "play", a small window entitled skyrim appears. Then a window saying: "failed to initialize renderer" also appears.
    However, I also have parallels desktop, and I don't have this problem when I play Skyrim, it's just that it's REALLY slow. Barely playable. I installed Skyrim onto an external harddrive. Would this have an effect on the gameplay?
    I payed £34 for Skyrim and I really want to be able to play it. Any help is much appreciated,

Euan.
    hi,
    Well I have the same problem as you and I wondered if you managed it. When yes can you help me? I don't know how to update the latest graphic card ether....
    Please I need help, I would like to be soon able to play skyrim.

Thanks alot for help.

Quote Originally Posted by bajodim View Post
    hi,
    Well I have the same problem as you and I wondered if you managed it. When yes can you help me? I don't know how to update the latest graphic card ether....
    The "failed to initialize renderer" error usually appears when it is a graphics card problem. What computer specifications do you have? Also, if you have a good video card then did you try updating its driver to the latest? If you dont have graphics card to play this game then with the onboard graphics you cant play this game.

I have the same problem. I downloaded Skyrim from Steam, and have just updated my graphics card drivers 2 days ago, but to no avail. When I click Skyrim on my desktop, it appears with the box that says Play, options etc., but when I click play, a black box appears in the top-left of screen and comes up with the message. This problem could be due to my graphics cad itself being outdated: it's a "NVIDIA GeForce 6200SE TurboCache". Does anyone know if this graphics card is suitable, no matter what I do to it, or will I need to buy a new graphics card to play it?