Thread: Difficulty Settings in Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Difficulty Settings in Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Hello friends, before I go to the game full time, I read the normal difficulty setting is too easy and that is the reason that I would like to increase that. But I have been trying to find out what actually changes when you increase or decrease difficulty. Do the amount of perks to get change or there is any change to Health/damage of enemies? I wish that someone will help me with this.

Re: Difficulty Settings in Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I was wondering the same thing. Played through about 3 levels on Adept, and was 1 shotting bandits, so bumped up the difficulty to Expert and having more engaging battles. I was very impressed when a warrior brigand tanked me, whilst the mage fired/electrified me from a distance and the archer found some high ground and flanked me.

What I noticed is that enemies such as Draugr are a lot tougher than animals and most humanoid NPCs I have encountered. They make for challenging battles, I have to say this especially when dual-wielding. Draugr's usually need at least one power attack + one normal attack to kill. Higher draugr's are really tough. Though what I find weird with the two handed weapons is that at first it seems like the boss enemies aren't taking too much damage, but then in two or three attacks you take away their last half or 1/3rd health. I would say so far at expert level it reduces damage you deal and adds damage you take without it becoming too frustrating with enemies tanking hits like it's nothing. I am pretty sure that there is the same amount of enemies and I don't know how the AI changes.

While magic gets involved, I found that the battles get really great. This might be for the reason that I still didn't use a single spell and was surprised when people were zapping and reanimating and whatever. I am actually enjoying the combat.

I would like to tell you that with adept difficulty 10 skill increases you receive the next level and with expert difficulty only 6 skill increases result in a level increase. This is all I know about this and so I am suggesting you the same.

I play on adept and thought it was easy until I encountered that boss spider in the cave, had to die a few times and use a few potions. Also when exiting the cave I was surprised by an ambush from 2 necromancers using frost spells which almost owned me but thanks to healing + potions I survived with little HP. I really love this game.

If you are playing that for the first time then my recommendation to you is to play that on the lowest settings and then move on to the higher one. Unless you are champion in the game, don't move to the advanced settings. This is just what I think and all rest is upto you.