Thread: Melee combat is somewhat bland in Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Melee combat is somewhat bland in Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I can now say that I am a bit disappointed through the melee combat. There is just no feel of impact. While making use of the shield, it is quite hard to know when you have blocked or not. In Oblivion you could feel a crunching blow hitting your shield or your armor. Why does Skyrim feel so bland. Melee combat was one of the things i was looking forward to in this game. I want to see opinion from other players over here.

Re: Melee combat is somewhat bland in Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I have just place in around 3 hours playing time up to now but I understand what you mean. While planning my character, I was aiming for a typical spell-sword or battle mage. I find myself more than any other previous Elder Scrolls title an all-out mage. Magicka is awesome now. But melee took a hit. I am not sure if the controller vibration changes this on the console but it sure feels weak on PC. This is the only thing that I can say about this game.

I found the combat much the same as Oblivion, but compared to magic or stealth it's not much fun as those both got a huge upgrade. If you're on PC go Magic and wait for a deadly reflex mod, on console its pretty much stealth only. This wouldn't be awesome if they could throw in the combat of Mount and Blade? I never get sick of trying to lop people's heads off in those games.

I am disagree with this. I find the combat animations to be better than Oblivion. Every time my character block with his shield. The vibration in my controller goes WUMP and that is much more of an effect than Oblivion provided. If there's anything I'm disappointed about, it's lack of vocational damage but we have known about this for months now. I will persevere with my fighter for my first play through as it's my favorite way of playing. I know mods will probably improve this greatly but I find it disappointing it seems to have gone backwards from Oblivion.

You might be required to turn the rumble feature lying on controller on. I utilize a two handed axe and barely block since I never know if it in fact worked.

This is not only you who felt this. There are many of the other users who are posting the same this on many of the other sites. So this is really a blend in the game as many of the users are reporting the same thing.

This is exactly what I was worried about. I noted this many times in the past few months and was always put down by the Believers, but it still sucks to get it confirmed. I won't be playing Skyrim until tomorrow, so soon I'll know for sure. I am on PC so I don’t use controllers. The Oblivion melee had a much better feel to it without the need for gimmicks like vibrating controllers. In dungeons for example where you were fighting multiple enemy’s bandits you could back up into a corridor and hold your position. In scenarios like that you could almost feel the blows raining down on your shield, metal ringing on metal. In Skyrim it all feels rather flimsy.

I think that the melee combat is fine. This cannot be said to be perfect but not bad either but it is definitely much better than Oblivion otherwise Morrowind. I cannot expect to pull off fighter game type moves in a game like this.