Thread: How dungeons work in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

How dungeons work in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Some people may be wondering how the enemy level system exactly works... while most people know that enemies can be both preset and level with the character, I thought you'd appreciate some further details. Areas outside of dungeons work almost the same way. They tend to have larger level ranges and do not lock-in. So there you go, some areas will be all but inaccessible at early levels, but when you get closer to their predestinated level range it will continue to challenge you until you leave the level range. Once you enter an area the enemy levels are locked-in. Farewell frustrating oblivion enemy scaling, you will not be missed!!

Re: How dungeons work in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I haven't played the game and got this information second-hand I can't say for sure. It seems loot directly correlates to the level the dungeon was capped at, so you can't clear a dungeon at level 5 and come back at level 50 and get a bunch of dragon armor, you'll still find level 5 loot. That said, there are so many dungeons in the game that you should never "run-out" of places to explore for a good long while. However I'm sure there are areas specifically designed for "end-game" characters. These will probably be located at the highest peaks of the more or less highest mountains as dungeons will, generally, get progressively more difficult the further up you go. These will repopulate indefinitely, so you'll always have a place to loot.

I just hated how oblivion's loot worked. If you did a certain quest at level 1 and you get an item that is the best shield or weapon in the game, but only if you waited until you were level 25, then you're just screwed and get a half as item that could have potentially been an end game item that you would have wanted to complete the game with. So basically I felt constrained and had to power level or do other quests until i hit 25 to advance the story or faction quest line (which is where the most fun part of the game is and best rewards).

I don't know how quest loot works, only how dungeon loot works and only a sketchy idea at that. I have heard from many sources that quest loot is usually static, but that is really difficult to confirm until people have a chance to play through multiple times.