Thread: Racial skills in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Racial skills in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I can't provide the evidence, but I understand that: The Altmer's rapid Magicka regeneration is callable skill, called Highborn, rather than a permanent effect "They can call upon their "Highborn" power to regenerate Magicka quicky". The Breton resistance is to Magicka in general (this is also shown in the UESP page) "even the humblest Breton's of high rock boast a resistance to Magic". Big news for me this, the increased Magicka regeneration was a big part of how I was going to play.

Re: Racial skills in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I've heard the opposite about the Altmer power actually, that seems to be gleaned from a loading screen. I think Highborn is just what their constant effect regen boost is called. We already know for certain that Bretons are resistant to shock specifically, and that their Dragonskin power just absorbs magicka.

I had heard the same as you, but I've just read what it says on the character selection screens, and written it down. It's the "able to call on" bit that made me think otherwise. I've done the same for Breton's, and the resistance to magic makes it seem as though it's all magic. In the Breton summary it also says "able to call on" with respect to Dragon skin - the same language used for the Altmer Highborn power. That's how I came to this conclusion. Passing on in good faith, and you now know as much as I do- make of it what you will!

Argonians have 50% disease resistance and water breathing, constant effect, and can once a day use their Histskin power to increase their HP regeneration tenfold for one minute. Bosmer have 50% disease and poison resistance, constant effect, and can command animals to aid them once a day with their Beast Speech power. Bretons have 50% shock resistance, constant effect, and can once a day use their Dragonskin power to absorb all magicka cast at them for a minute. Dunmer have 50% fire resistance, constant effect, and can once a day use their Ancestor's Wrath power to make an aura of damaging flames around themselves. Imperials find more gold and can use the Voice of the Emperor to charm people once a day. Khajiit get bonus damage to unarmed attacks and can see in the dark at will. Nords have 50% frost resistance, constant effect, and can once a day use their Battlecry power to make all enemies around them flee for a while.

Given all of that I'd expect Altmer magicka regen to be a constant thing since they have nothing else listed for them. I'm also assuming that the orc's Berserker Rage is something they can use as much as they damn well please with serious negatives side effects and a long cooldown after they're done. And I'm not sure what's up with Redguards and their Adrenaline Rush but it better be something amazing. I'd have expected them to also get a small boost to fatigue regeneration if anything.

It's not totally clear I'm afraid. Like I say I've passed on what I read, which you can interpret as you wish but I'd say from that description that they probably don't. I was going to play as an Altmer for that reason, but if they don't have it as a permanent ability, and if Breton's have constant Magicka resistance then I'm going for a Breton I reckon.