Thread: Any plan on spending many perks on melee skills in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Any plan on spending many perks on melee skills in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Most of the weapon perks are modifiers on the crazy power attacks or low level procs on critical and the like. Skills like block, heavy armor, lock pick and the like have way more useful perks then a 25% chance to do more critical. So do you plan on spending your limited perks on more than a few in melee weapons?

Re: Any plan on spending many perks on melee skills in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Have you seen the One Handed perks? Dual wielding blades seem like the absolutely hardest hitting damage and DPS output in the game. The highest critical chance coupled with high attack speed and duel weapons. Add poison to those and to me it seems like it could be nearly gamebreaking. At least against medium armored to unarmored opponents. Plus the damage bonuses. So 25% chance for critical is no small thing. Especially with the fast attack speed of duel wielding. If you include that shout that boosts your attack speed as well it just gets absurd.

Re: Any plan on spending many perks on melee skills in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

It wasn't meant as a slight. It is just sometimes is hard to understand why the thread exists. I mean the last one you started was about battlemages being the worst class combination. This one is just as silly. It is obvious that any arms using player is going to upgrade their effectiveness, at using arms, the perk that uses less stamina is not the backwards power attack. The backwards power attack paralyzes enemies, I would say that is pretty useful for whacking things. The perk that uses less stamina is Fighting Stance. Once again, for any arms user that uses power attack (all of them) this is going to be vital. Maybe it comes down to research.

I could see a Paladin swinging a mace with great justice just fine. The point I (and possibly Sgt) was making was purely from a powergamer standpoint. Maces still have the ability to be upgraded with excellent perks in that tree and are totally viable. If that better fits a cleric/paladin character it wouldn't be a problem at all. Just not super optimal. On my melee focused character I will take some. Armsman or the 2 hander equiv is probably a bit on the necessary side to keep your damage up. The power attacks I'd take because well I like attack options. The rest well if I have room.

With a limited number of perks, and block, lockpick, heavy armor, being so much better than some of the crazier perks, i won’t be using some of those perks. Compare armor not weighing anything or slowing you down to a sprinting power attack. Maybe it’s just mean but half the time in oblivion those things didn’t even work. Kind of hard to take “this threat shouldn’t even exist" as not a slight you know? 100s of posts on werewolves and you don’t see people throwing out personal insults but I have an opinion on melee perks and I wanted to see if others thought the same thing and yet. I will probably spend 5 points in Melee maybe 6 but not the 11 or 12 other people seem to be taking.

I'm going to put all of my perks into light armor, one-handed, sneak and speech. I'm going to dual-wield two daggers, which the game appears not to support because it's not benefited by any perks when it open combat, but I think it will look badass. I'm hoping that, combined with the perk that increases dual-wield attack speed, my twin blades will be slashing like crazy.

Going to be a heavy armor Dunmer spellsword so yes, I will be heavily investing into one-handed, at least maxing out Armsman and the dual-wielding branch. I'm not sure about weapon specialization but I'll probably get Fighting Stance and Savage Strike. Since I will always have weapons or spells in hand at all times there will be no blocking for me. Blocking is for pansies. I know my character will be honing his skills in the arcane arts, as such I will be going completely mage, no light armor, no weapons (staves and wands of course) some may say it’s not the best choice, but it's who i am at heart and it’s my choice.

It's not a matter of opinion; it's a matter of what works for your character. For a guy like mine speed is probably not going to be happening very much because it will benefit me more to focus on magicka than stamina, so it won't be much use for me to take Conditioning or Critical Charge since I probably won't have the stamina to make much use of them. If an enemy's starting to get too far away from me I'll hurl lightning at them or summon a critter to go after them. I still think complete negation of armor weight for heavy is too much but if you take a lot of stamina improvements and use the right enchantments and perks and weapons and such you can storm around the battlefield crushing pathetic weaklings beneath your heel like nobody's business. If you go light armor you'll be that much faster, though. There are plenty of options.

I'll be using a one-hander for most of the game (for the few times my magicka runs low or I simply don't wish to waste magicka on a nearly-dead foe) I do not plan on using ANY perks in one-handed. So far, all my planned perks are going towards destruction, alteration, restoration, enchantment, blacksmithing, and some conjuration and speechcraft.

Actually I am planning on spending very few perks on meele attack abilities but for different reasons then you mention. I am planning on being a speedy Khajiit mage who attacks with his claws if necessary but who otherwise relies on sorcerey. I am hoping the Khajiit racial bonus "claw attack" can rival traditional meele weapons and possibly, with proper attribute buffs, be more powerful in combat then a equivalently powerful NPC's weapon attacks.