Thread: Rebind keys to the Numpad in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Rebind keys to the Numpad in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Anyone here have any answer for this? How to rebind my keys to the Numpad? I know I speak for many when I request the ability to rebind my keys to the Numpad. This should not have been overlooked, and I'm shocked that not a single alpha/beta tester did not bring this easy to fix problem to the dev team. I beg you to fix this game breaking error. There is no point in fumbling around with WASD, something completely alien to me. I'm too old to relearn a new input setup for my right hand. I either play with the Numpad or I don't play. In recent memory I cannot think of a game that did not allow the Numpad to be used. I request either a fix in game, where I can traditionally remap keys with ease or a more complex set of directions so that I may manually edit the necessary files to play the game accordingly. So please if anyone has any idea about this than please help me.

Re: Rebind keys to the Numpad in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

This is a really amateur interface design error. I have more than a hundred games and none of them lock out commonly used interface keys. WASD is more common that number-key-centric schemes but it isn't the only way. This is a severe disappointment, the controls are basically crippled for you and me and a lot like us.

I was about to write exactly the same thing. “All the buttons can be remapped so you can flip them like that if you want”, Hine said to a fan asking on Twitter about remapping on the X360 controller. Apparently it's too much to ask on PC. It's impossible for me to play with WASD. I always use the Numpad in every game i play. Please fix this or provide us with a way to change the keymapping. I really want to play Skyrim, but right now i just can't.

I found a folder called ControlMap_Custom. This is a text file with 1 line of WingDing-like symbols. There doesn't appear to be anything useful for now. If i find a solution elsewhere, I will post my findings. I ask that anyone else who finds anything that can help to do the same.

I also registered and made a thread about my keybind woes. If you hit Escape when binding a key, you are locked out of the main menu. Restarting does nothing, defaults button when I was in it for that one initial time did nothing, and I don't see a keybinds file in sight that isn't in broken wing dings font. I just wanted to get this noticed elsewhere and see if anyone else is having this issue as well.

I would really like to avoid using autohotkey. It changes the key bindings in the registry, thus making the Numpad inoperable outside the game. In order for one to go back to default key mappings, they must restart their computer. For example, the "KP_5" key is remapped to "W" key. I use my computer for work purposes as well, so having a Numpad where each key is remapped to a letter key will not work.

I need the Numpad for quick number entries in excel as well as other software associated with how I make a living. By using autohotkey, one would be allowed to use the Numpad technically, but the Numpad will be a mish-mosh of useless keys outside of Skyrim. Furthermore, every key bind I use for every other game I play (quite a few) would have to be reconfigured to satisfy Skyrim. To ask me to reconfigure my hotkeys for every game I play besides Skyrim to enable the Numpad in game is a tall order. If you do not use the Numpad in any way outside of gaming, then autohotkey will work.

I would like to add my left-handed voice to say please take the reservations off the numeric keypad numerals. I don't want to hex-edit. I don't want to use a third party program. I want to have the same options and keybinds I had in Oblivion. This is not a small matter to lefties. Next time, a left-handed beta-tester or 10 might help you out with this sort of thing.

Another request for keybinds to Numpad. I'm in disbelief this is lacking. Back in '94 when Bethesda released Arena, the Numpad was as ubiquitous, probably more so than WSAD for gaming. While it’s been inexplicably shunned in the past decade, any PC game should support navigation & interaction via WSAD and NUMPAD. Numpad caters better to left handers, to many veteran gamers and those are more comfortable with the layout or prefer a more consolidated interface where one doesn't have to separate their hands at least a foot and a half.

You cannot bind any actions to keys 1 through 8 of the Numpad, regardless of whether NumLock is on or off. The game says, "Key is reserved". Presumably for hotkeys, since it's only 1 through 8; 9 and 0 are still available. I can see what you were thinking, Bethesda, but, you just royally borked the keybind preferences of legions of left handed players by making this so, and apparently a few righties as well.

Ugh, tell me about it. I'm a righty, but I've used the keypad in every game I've ever played, so this is a big deal to me. Its an old holdover from when I used to use the arrow keys for movement. Obviously, this only worked when games only needed like 6 buttons, which is why I migrated to the numpad. Same layout (the keys not being offset like WASD), so it was an easy migration, and I've gotten very much used to it since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Irene-I View Post
    I would really like to avoid using autohotkey. It changes the key bindings in the registry, thus making the Numpad inoperable outside the game.
    Just so you know, I did use this program and guess what.. it did not work for Skyrim. I tested it in notepad and in another game I play and it did in fact make the change but Skyrim still will not recognize the number pad.

It works, though there are a couple of notes about it that make it confusing.

Firstly, there are 3 directories inside the zip file.

Full Tweaks
    No Inventory Middle Mouse
    Numpad Bindable

You'd think that "Full Tweaks" includes all the tweaks, however, it actually means all the tweaks except numpad. After using the right one, you'll find that you can bind the numpad, but the game will show the buttons as [???].

Confusing, I know, but the numpad fix works fine for me.

I found this as well and it does in deed work. However I managed to get the key pad to work with the full version and didnt use the num-pad only folder.

You can do this by going to Control Settings. I have never ever seen a worse interface for a PC game in my life. Anyone in the industry knows that ESC or F1 are quitting a game. I have never ever seen it be the letter J. Also the weapons part is absolutely the worse. It took me 15 minutes to figure out how to put on armor on my character. I am really blown away because they did not do this before. I wish people could write them as I know I will. Really bad experience and I don't know if I can take much more.