Thread: Perk choice wanted in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Perk choice wanted in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The general play is a sneaky character who aims to one shot enemies from the shadows. If detected, he would use conjuration to create distractions (choosing undead because they seem beefier) and then slip away into the shadows for more sneak bonus shots. If cornered, he can go toe to toe in melee with a sword in one hand and a restoration spell in the other with alteration providing his armour.

Re: Perk choice wanted in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I picked alteration here because it provides utility (open locks, detect life, paralyse, feather (I think?)) and strong armour (mage armour) without giving up any sneaking ability, stamina regeneration, magic regeneration or needing something as well to get the most from it. Restoration is there for endurance (healing), utility (curing) and allowing me to branch out of pure magic a little (MP regeneration). One handed is more for a back up, and the rest is there to focus on getting sneak bow shots in.

This guy is a strong warrior that uses attacks of opportunity and uses close quarter combat to mutilate his foes but lack any kind of ranged powers except for dragon shouts. Easy class to play, but relies on stealth a lot early game and uses no magic. 50 Points in total, add 5 more points for 100% increased damage in archery and improve that tree until you finish the game, maybe put those points into Block or Alchemy.

A pretty good Generalist Mage in my opinion, but I may move some perks around when I see the spell list and confirmation on how Illusion spells scale. If Animage/Kindred Mage doesn’t allow me to cast Frenzy/Fear etc on most normal enemies then I'll drop them and Master of the Mind in favor of maxing the elemental damage augmentation perks.

The idea behind the build would be to primarily be a sword and board fighter with good immunities. As with others, just because I have not taken a perk does not mean the skill will be used - I just hope to use it without needing the perks. Any input is appreciated, but a few specific questions are: Do you think mages/magic will be prevalent and dangerous enough to justify the Alteration expenditure? I primarily for went for it for Magic Resistance, Atronach, and slight RP purposes. Do you see any skill trees/perks that are "can't miss" because they yield some skill that without the perks you would miss? The only one I have really noticed in my cursory glances is possibly Bribery.

I'm sure others have noticed, it doesn't always make sense to take all the low level 20%/40%/60%/80%/100% perks because some trees feature later 25% boosts. So can't you just take one of the low level 20% boost and then move up the tree to take a 25% boost? Perhaps I am not understanding the prerequisites fully and you really do need it maxed to move up, but if I am not incurrent, then that may allow some greater generalization of perks if people don't mind missing out on not maxing the base perk.

I still don’t know for sure, but I do know that I want to max out both the sneak tree and the speech tree. I know you don’t have to max out any trees, but I doubt that 100% chameleon is going to be possible in this game, and if it is possible, then it’s not going to be as easy as it was in Oblivion when you just had to shut a few Oblivion gates at higher levels.

I like to be able to sneak through dungeons, not only to kill enemies quicker, but to hear their conversations. A bulky warrior will more often than not be unable to hear what characters are saying inside of dungeons because they start the battle too soon. As for speech, well, I just want my character to be very charismatic. It’s sort of important to her. Beyond that, people say making money is very hard in this game, and money itself is limited, so the perks that let me sell any type of item to any vendor, and have every vendor’s gold increased by a thousand, sound very promising.

That leaves me with 23 free perks at level 50. I still want to go dual-daggers, but I’m not sure how viable it is. I also think light armor is necessary, and since I intend to join the imperial legion, I’ll probably stick with the full suite of light armor they give you early on – merely upgrading it – until I get some better armor. I know most of the imperial legion probably uses heavy armor, but I’m hoping they’ll have some more light armor variants later on. Because I intend to use imperial legion armor, I don’t need to get something, although I’m still hoping you can get dragon armor even without that perk.

You know what, I'm having doubts about whether I should go down the Heavy or Light Armour route, I've sorted out skills and perks for both possibilities, but I won't make a decision until the game comes out.

The goal of this build is a more subtle mage than the explosion-happy Destruction users (not that there's anything wrong with that style). By relying on conjured minions, strong personal defense magic, and Illusion to control and manipulate my enemies, I hope to be able to survive on the highest difficulty. My arsenal will also include bound weapons, which will hopefully allow me to skip the weapon side of the Enchanting tree without losing too much.