Thread: Difficulty to become a Nord in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Difficulty to become a Nord in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I really feel pressure to become a Nord in this game. This is really difficult as per me. In Morrowind and Oblivion, I never felt any pressure to pick one race over another in order to fit into the storyline. In Skyrim, there seems to be very strong pressure to become a Nord. I'm not talking about stats or racial abilities. I'm not even talking about the way commoners treat you. I'm talking about the way the major factions view you. Stormcloaks want to kick out the Imperials and make Skyrim the Nordish homeland once again. Really makes my orc feel right at home, huh? Meanwhile the Imperial legion is a shallow husk of what it once was, plus they tried to kill you then got their asses handed to them by a single dragon.

Re: Difficulty to become a Nord in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I don't feel too pressured to be a Nord; honestly in Morrowind after I found out who my character was, I felt it was too bizarre not to be a dunmer. While yes, the game is pushing you to be a Nord; I don't think it’s hard enough It will affect me when I play my Breton and altmer.

In the beginning, I thought all Nord lovers didn't have any imagination. But now that I've seen many videos, reviews and all, it seems that they really are a great choice for warrior based character. (Yes I know you make your character the way you want, but you get my drift.) I played mainly stealthy characters in Oblivion, and was really tempted to do the same now in Skyrim with a Bosmer or some other stealthy fella, but the whole "Burly, rugged, tough" talk about Skyrim has really changed my mind about the race I'll pick. I still haven't decided and I have no idea whatsoever what to pick. Feels like I want to try out to be a Breton mage but at the same time I want to be a powerful warrior, thief, assassin etc.

Not even the least. But I am going to play a nord eventually. I call him Voldur, and he's the typical warrior dual-wielder guy in heavy armor. Smith, Block and similar to make him truly feel like a gritty, seasoned Viking.

Well when I finally created a character to beat the MQ in MW (after playing for years) I did feel like it had to be a Dunmer, especially moving on into the TB expansion. Note though that when playing the BM expansion I felt a lot better playing a Nord. In OB I didn't seem too forced to play an Imperial for the MQ, partially because that being the Empire capital providence there were more of other races in it. In Skyrim I am definitely feeling the need to play either an Imperial or Nord. One for joining the Imperials, the other for the Stormcloaks. Playing anything else just feels ackward. Maybe after actually playing the game a while the other races won't seem so bad.

I don't feel pressured, and I'll play my usual Breton first (They still have magic resistance, right?), but eventually I'll play a Nord. It's like playing a Dark Elf in Morrowind or an Imperial in Oblivion; it makes story sense.

I always kind of feel pressured to play the native race at least once, but it makes for a nice change and good lore. I prefer playing a human race, imperial was probably my favorite because of voice of the emperor. I will have no problem playing nord though since I'm part Norwegian and it will fit nicely in the story. I don't think you should really feel pressured though. All of the elder scroll games are a good play as a foreigner too.

Since Morrowind I have been trying to make my own barbarian nord called Olav Stordrage, me and my friends write stories about him. But i couldn’t create him in the way I want, i mean in Morrowind I wanted to, but nobody looked how i imagined him, and in oblivion hell no. He needs a beard, and the so called "beards" in oblivion is a joke, but now in Skyrim i can finally create my Nordic character, and +it’s his home country and I want to take revenge at the imperials.