Thread: Blocking with Dual Weapons isn't possible in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Blocking with Dual Weapons isn't possible in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Does Blocking with Dual Weapons possible? I just don't see how this is possible. It seems like the devs are forcing this playstyle to be purely offensive, when TES is and always has been about freedom to play however we want to play. It just seems like it doesn't make sense, since for dual wielding to be effective in any way, a fighter would at least have to parry. It doesn't seem logical. My hope, and my belief (unless someone can give me a dev podcast/blog/interview of any kind) is that the footage or leaked game we have seen is a pre release build and that blocking for dual wielding is possible. You can do it for every other weapon style, including two handed swords, which debunks the "dual wielding allows way more damage" argument, since a daedric claymore does a ridiculous amount of damage, especially when adding all of the available perks. There's no way a dual wielding character can match that. If there's no way to block, it would kill this play style quite quickly.

Re: Blocking with Dual Weapons isn't possible in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The mechanics don't support it. Pressing the trigger swings. Holding it down does a power attack. Holding both down does a dual power attack. There's no button available to block.

Todd Howard also said there would be no werewolves, so, yeah. There is now a werewolf picture on the back of every preorder case. You could do it easily by hitting both triggers and then a bumper or something, or clicking a joystick, or even holding the joystick back while pulling both triggers. So many ways to do it. So I don't want to hear any "the game mechanics don't support it," because that's how power moves were done in Oblivion- which I use to destroy the arena. If it isn't in there, I'll have to learn how to mod it into my 360 or something.

I don't mind that there is no blocking available while dual wielding. My plan is to do so much damage that I won't need to block. Here is my thought process: Orc with racial ability of berserk, dual wield axes, max out all perks that increase 1 hand damage, axe perks for bleed damage, and the dual wield perks. Invest in alchemy sufficient to get the two poison perks I have seen and to make poisons. Invest in sneak sufficient to get backstab for 1 hand weapons that does 6x spoil (not the perk for daggers that is 15x). Invest in something to make the best weapons possible.

I like how people don’t consider that maybe the DPS was pushed too far with dual wield. I'm not disagreeing, I have seen what dual wielding done right can do but it shouldn’t have been that way. Removing the mechanic has made dual wielding such a boring field. Run up, SLICE and either you die or they die. Also, if they have a shield or 2 hander, you’re screwed because you have no way of lowering the incoming damage.

I don't understand why people are so upset. Do you think every weapon set should function the exact same? All weapons should be block then attack, and then block more? NOT being allowed to block in dual wield ADDS variety. It makes it unique. If you like blocking and counter attacks then go sword and board, if you like big slow hits go 2hander, if you like mobility and very fast attacks (i.e. run circles around big opponent and as soon as he drops his guard to try and hit you can spoiler attack him since you hit faster), This is a good call in my opinion, it adds more variety and style to the game.