Thread: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim- Why the Harsh Crackdown

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim- Why the Harsh Crackdown

I am not sure why Bethesda is cracking down so hard on leaked intro footage. Todd Howard has said time and again that at the beginning of the game you are a prisoner going to your execution. There is nothing else to the footage, except that it showed off some of the awesomeness Bethesda should be proud of. The main quest is still a mystery. How you know you are dragonborn is a mystery. Where you meet Esbern is a mystery. Basically we really do not know much more than Todd Howard has made known to the world already.

Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim- Why the Harsh Crackdown

There are tons of copies going out all over to previewers, some of these not being of the uttermost sincere and serious kind. Also, their significant others, children, friends, allowed to play, of course, them not being bound by any sort of deal or agreement with anyone else and to be perfectly honest, this close, I don't think they care on damn bit anyways.

I'm actually surprised that the crackdown wasn't more severe. With as competitive as the Video Game Industry is, the secrets and development of a company's games are typically better protected and guarded than the Pentagon. Well, except for the CoD franchise, we all know that Treyarch/Activision really doesn’t give it about their online security. That's why every CoD game is completely owned by hackers/modders within 24 hours of game release. Not to mention, within six (6) hours of Black Ops dropping, there were gamers seen online with everything unlocked and all achievements, all weapon mods, etc. Their security is abysmal. But, aside from the sub-forums where we can discuss it, I am surprised that they haven't really blasted the "leakers" more severely.

I saw the leaked footage, and read the complaints about the gameplay and graphics. I personally saw nothing wrong with anything. Yes, the graphics were poor, but that was because I was watching it on YouTube with a 360p video. I have no doubt that the graphics will look beautiful on my HDTV. Many of the other complaints were nowhere near justified, either. Maybe I'm just easy to please.

Some journalist(s) break a serious contract and release footage about a part of the game they want to keep secret, thereby undermining their PR strategy. Beth has had the rule of not posting leaked materials since (at least) Oblivion, them going back on it and letting us post the leaked video would make no sense. They've already been incredibly lenient by creating this forum and letting us talk about all the leaks that have come out.

It's because the game has not been legally distributed worldwide (apart from the reviews) and these reviews were obligated not to release footage before release whether it’s a spoiler or not. They broke that, so Bethesda removed the video. I wouldn't call that "harsh" at all, it’s just the removal of a video, not legal action. Any released footage is to be from Bethesda themselves.