Thread: No More Room in Hell, what mean by Desura?

No More Room in Hell, what mean by Desura?

I am here to get some information on the Desura, I heard about this when I was on the Moddb and at that time I came to know that Desura which is used to download mods and games and also I have some questions on it.

1. Is here anyone who uses the Desura on this forum?
    2. When you add friends on Desura/Moddb can you send messages like in Steam?
    3. If you can download source mods already on steam, and other mods on their own website, then this is just another option?
    4. Why is Desura and Moddb basically the same thing?
    5. Will you be able to download NMRiH through Desura?

Re: No More Room in Hell, what mean by Desura?

Ok, for your questions I am having answer for then and that is as:-

1. Some of the team uses it
    2. No
    3. It's another option yes, it's there if you don't like Steam overwriting your changes with its .gcfs
    4. Desura is ModDB's answer to the digital distribution race
    5. Yes

Here I would like to say something for your answer for the above questions and that is as:

3. It's another option yes, it's there if you don't like Steam overwriting your changes with its .gcfs

Before this also I have seen that it is not really much of a competitor to steam as they do not sell full price retail games on it but instead of this but it is handy for downloading mods all in one application. The games that you pay for are cheap and mostly unheard of?
    5. Yes
    So therefore I can update my build through Desura rather than using SVN if I get an invite from the development team which it says when I click on "Install mod"?

We are getting it set up and tested to make sure that works, and it is allowing us to do focus tests much more easily. Also will allow for easy distribution for press etc.

I would like to say over here that the Desura is more of a digital distributor for indie games and for mods. And also this act like the Steam from where updates are applied automatically thru it. And also the main function of the Desura is to act like an auto-updater for Source games, and this is because all Source mods still require Steam to be running though. And also I will say that YES, to get the Mode through the Desura is very easier. This is because, if you want to take the modes form there at that time you will need to just click on the Install Mod from Moddb site and this will get installed.

Here I know most of you have answered, but I thought I would chime in allowing pushed Desura get our beta. And I'm very happy with it, offering beta testing support. We are using Desura to end the problems we were having with SVN for our test group. Games could be mostly unknown to the steam has a little more strict policies to add titles to your library. Where as Desura is trying to adapt to / make a name for itself is with indie titles.Yes, you can install just as simple as you might for a game on steam. Now Desura Mods vapor. While trying to be more than that. It is trying to find it's niche in supporting indie titles with things like alpha financing, the success API, DLC support, the carry of beta testing. I have curiosity regarding where they go with their platform in the future, I just hope to find a way to expand.

As one of the user of this game have said that the ZPS still need steam running to run and steam, you can join through Steam servers directly which is what I do, but other smaller scale mods can work on it without running steam that is your target market. And I am telling you this because it is almost Desura vapor-Lite with the same type of interface.

I have some information about the Desura and that is, Desura is the digital distribution service for players, putting the best games, mods and downloadable content on their hands and ready to play. Desura is a proprietary platform developed by digital distribution DesuraNET for Microsoft Windows and Linux, but a client for Mac OS X also been suggested. It is used to distribute games and related Internet media, with a primary focus on small independent developers rather than large software houses. Desura also offers community features, automatic updates and resources for game developers.