Thread: Not able to run Sonic Generations on NVIDIA video card with Optimus technology

Not able to run Sonic Generations on NVIDIA video card with Optimus technology

I have recently bought this game called “Sonic Generations” and I have found that it game is not able to work with my NVIDIA card with Optimus technology I don’t know what is the issue. Whenever I am trying to launch the game then I am getting a pop up which says "The detected configuration does not match your current hardware. Please re-run configuration tool." Is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about the same and has come up with a solution for it? Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated?

Re: Not able to run Sonic Generations on NVIDIA video card with Optimus technology

I have recently bought this game called “Sonic Generations” and I have found that it game is not able to work with my NVIDIA card with Optimus technology I don’t know what is the issue. Whenever I am trying to launch the game then I am getting a pop up which says "The detected configuration does not match your current hardware. Please re-run configuration tool." Is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about the same and has come up with a solution for it? Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated?
    Are you aware of the minimum system requirement of this game?
    • Processor-Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4200 (2x2.0GHz) or AMD equivalent
    • Video Card-NVIDIA GeForce 8800 (512MB) / ATI Radeon HD 2900 (512MB)
    • Memory-2GB RAM (XP)/3GB RAM (Windows 7 / Vista)
    • OS-Microsoft Windows 7/Vista/XP
    • HDD Space-11 GB free hard drive space

Re: Not able to run Sonic Generations on NVIDIA video card with Optimus technology

Yes I am aware of it and my system information is as followed:
    • Windows 7 64-bit Home Basic
    • Intel Core i5 CPU 2,53 MHz
    • 4 GB RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M 1 GB

I think that the game should work with this configuration without any problem.

I have found that The NVIDIA cards with Optimus technology uses integrated HD graphical cards as a preprocessor and because of which the configuration tool is not able to recognize the card but I have also found that the integrated one get recognized well without any such problem. I mean that you won’t be able to launch the game until you select the integrated card from the control panel and you will also have to make sure that the game graphics is set to low in order to get it going. You can check this issue as there is a no of threads on the NVIDIA forum where these problems have been discussed in detail. Just try to perform the solution and then see if it is making any difference or not because I am not very sure as I have not yet tried it myself so just check it out and then let me know if it helps. Best of luck.

I have found that The NVIDIA cards with Optimus technology uses integrated HD graphical cards as a preprocessor and because of which the configuration tool is not able to recognize the card but I have also found that the integrated one get recognized well without any such problem. I mean that you won’t be able to launch the game until you select the integrated card from the control panel and you will also have to make sure that the game graphics is set to low in order to get it going. You can check this issue as there is a no of threads on the NVIDIA forum where these problems have been discussed in detail. Just try to perform the solution and then see if it is making any difference or not because I am not very sure as I have not yet tried it myself so just check it out and then let me know if it helps. Best of luck.
    I have been facing the same problem and I have tried the above solution but then it did not work for me. I have found that the game chooses the Intel card automatically in order to render the graphics because of which the game appears to be very choppy and I really don’t expect this while playing the modern Sonic. I have tried to select the Nvidia card by going in to the Nvidia Control Panel and then changing the settings but then I was getting the same popup saying "The detected configuration does not match your current hardware. Please re-run configuration tool.".Is there a way to solve it out?

I don’t have much idea about the Optimus technology but then I have faced same kind of problem with the Shogun 2 and when I searched for a solution then I found that the problem can be solved by editing game configuration manually so if it is possible with the Sonic Generations then just try it out but if not then I think that you will have to wait till the NVIDIA or Sega will come up with a patch to solve such problems. I have not yet got the game but I think that I will get it and try it out and see if I am facing any such problem on my machine as I am not having any console so I think that the Sonic Generations will be new for me after the Sonic 3D Blast.

I am having the same problem on my dell XPS with Nvidia graphic I was not aware of such problem before I pre ordered it and now I have found that the Intel graphics is the only option that I am having it to be the only option that is available in the config program and I am not able to even select the nvidia card from the nvidia control panel as well. I don’t know what the problem is about but I really want it to get it fixed soon.

I will also like to inform you all that changing the name won’t help because I have myself tried it to give the 'Intel(R) HD Graphics” the name of the nvidia card even though it was a very weird solution that one would have tried. Later i had found that as long as the game itself does not recognize the graphic card we won’t be able to launch the game. I have also tried to use the config tool but then I have found that it only finds the name and the address of the graphic card and writes it so it won’t be helping as well and I have also tried to use the registry but then the registry search just gave me the information regarding the location of the game in the computer. I am just waiting for a solution to sort this issue.

I have found that when I change the default for Sonic Generations I mean that when I set the integrated graphics card as default for Sonic Generations from the control panel then the game is running but I am getting a very low performance and even if it is the only thing that I am running on my machine and I that ti is giving me a 10 fps or just a little more than it. I have been able to run games like Assassin's Creed 2 and most of the latest games by using the graphics card to full power but I don’t know why I am not able to launch this game. I have not yet found a solution for it even though I have visited a no of forum where people have raised this problem.

I am really finding this game to be disappointing because it is just not working for nvidia card I mean that I have not heard the same issue with some other video cards and I really wanted to play this game but as I am having the nvidia card I am not able to play this game. I have tried to try all the things that I could have including the solution that has been specified here but unfortunately none of them is helping.

I am really finding this game to be disappointing because it is just not working for nvidia card I mean that I have not heard the same issue with some other video cards and I really wanted to play this game but as I am having the nvidia card I am not able to play this game. I have tried to try all the things that I could have including the solution that has been specified here but unfortunately none of them is helping.
    Yes I really think that there should be a patch to solve this issue out because by now it is really making me to regret on the decision of getting the pc version of it. I think that now I will have to go for the 360 version to play this game.

Here's a solution that worked for me:

Running on Win XP
    AMD PII X4 945
    Nvidia 9400GT

1) Go to the installed folder of the game e.g.C:\Program Files\Black Box\Sonic Generations
    2) Double click on the Configuration tool.exe
    3)Configuration windows pop up, select you graphics card in the Graphics adapter field. Change other settings as desired depending on the capabilities of your system, trial & error...
    4)Save & Quit
    5)Launch Sonic generations, keep your fingers crossed!

Good luck hope it helps some frustrated gamer out there...