Thread: Thoughts on Combat Mechanics in A Valley Without Wind

Thoughts on Combat Mechanics in A Valley Without Wind

I know it's too early to ask about that, but hearing about (possible) non-mouse input and see the new videos, well, let's say I have my doubts. As much as I like the concept of the game so far, I'm not a big fan of arcade combat that requires nimble fingers over a deeper reflection. What I personally like to see is a kind of mechanical shifts (perhaps in real time with regenerative action items, as in Fallout Tactics?) Or at least one "active" pause to let me evaluate the situation and the course of action plan.

Re: Thoughts on Combat Mechanics in A Valley Without Wind

Combat in general is going to be action and adventure, like Zelda or Crystalis or similar. It is a turn-based at all and no way to stop the game at all. The videos we've seen so far are the opponent and the player moves pretty fast. That actually has dropped to about 2 / 3 speeds in the new version.

Expect to need two fingers nimble and deeper thought. However, depending on your style of play, you can get away with much more of each other. If you have super nimble fingers can probably make a game of dodging and weaving to shun damage and avoid a few of the deeper thought. If you need to shun the loom of nimble fingers, after that you need to actually focus on your loadout and that's the craft, to make influential combinations of items and abilities that you can utilize in combat. At the other end of things, you can always hit the regions of lower or higher level compared to his level player, to adjust the difficulty relating to his skill in the game as a whole. So if you do not want to be thinking fast and deep, you can get by with just being cautious and not go into a territory that is too dangerous for the moment.

The bubble of invincibility sounds rather well, actually, more or less as I had in mind when he says about "active break". It's good to know about slowing it down a bit too. Sounds really interesting - I can live with the action-oriented combat if supported by other mechanics which you stated. I speculate how battle fit into the grand scheme of things, but currently that you stated regarding the world that affect the decisions that have an influence on the fight as well - let's say you can stop holding your breath.

The most important thing to remember about this game is that it is a fighting game at all. It is the exploration and survival, so sometimes that means that tax evasion. Unlike a linear game, you have to kill all the enemies just because they exist. The battle is there to provide flavor and a challenge, and to create problems to solve as you explore, but not where the meat of the decision making of the game is. Of course they want to fight to be interesting in itself, and be suitably varied and deeper than it is, but the fight is probably 30% of the most complete game I think is what I mean.

The combat is fun, but if we return to the example Crystalis great-grandfather, who had too much. Half of that game was pure grinding. And it was really cruel method of doing so if not invincible monsters leveled up properly. So no clever tactics or fingers could go faster than just having to grind monsters.