Thread: Thoughts on Maesters and Ravens units in A Game of Thrones: Genesis

Thoughts on Maesters and Ravens units in A Game of Thrones: Genesis

The Maesters play an important role in all of Westeros, and each house/family of importance is assigned a Maester from the citadel. Even though the Citadel is located in The Reach the Maesters are nonpartisan, yet it seems that in the game only House Tyrell has access to the Maester as a unit, a bit strange wouldn't you say? And it’s even stranger with the Ravens of house Targaryen; Maesters are responsible for training and sending out ravens, what affiliation with ravens doe’s house Targaryen have? The raven makes for an interesting unit, but a pyromancer might make for a better Targaryen special unit.

Re: Thoughts on Maesters and Ravens units in A Game of Thrones: Genesis

Actually I find most of the units not very adequate to the houses. Like why Targaryen’s get ravens when all the houses use them? As well, why thieves for Arryn? Their households are in the mountains or in vales with villages. Baratheon should have had the thieves, they are common in Kingslanding. The main strength of Martel armies is spears!

Special units seem to me to be units that should be usable by every house. Mole, thieves, ravens, Maesters should just be everywhere. If your town has an inn you get thieves or even if you have low honor you can higher thieves. Maesters are the same, build a library type building you get ravens and Maesters and the mole that just seems like u would get it if you are cunning or you have whatever building. I always think of special units as "special" the dire wolf is unique but direwolves hadn’t been seen for thousands of years before the books so maybe it should be more like this.

We should also consider that this is not a game being developed in English, and perhaps some phrases like "sellswords" got lost in translation or were deemed too much as slang to be a unit title. From what I've heard GRRM is giving his OK to all the thematic decisions as well.

Maesters: since they should be disposable for every house, a possibility could be that they are buyable from the Citadel. Every maester could stay in the city/fortress and there He can provide its help in the administration of the house (discount or bonus on unit, revenues, diplomatic actions with ravens etc). Instead when he goes out the player loses this bonuses but the maester can heal unit as the developers said. In addition to these each maester could be different from the others. I explain. They could be specialized in a field of study (or more than one), on the basis of their ring chain, giving bonus on these fields. Of course the "powerful" the maester, the higher the cost.