Thread: How to solve “Steam is running in windows compatibility mode" error message

How to solve “Steam is running in windows compatibility mode" error message

Hello,
    I have just started using Steam gaming client from last two three days but today when I started to launch it today also then I started getting error saying that:”Running steam in windows compatibility mode is not recommended. Please remove any windows compatibility settings for steam.exe under all users”. Can anyone tell me how do I solve this problem? Thanks

Re: How to solve “Steam is running in windows compatibility mode" error message

I would like to suggest some troubleshooting method to you. First of all right click on steam shortcut icon or steam.exe icon and after that select properties. Now on the properties go to the compatibility mode tab and under that make sure you have checkmared on the run this program on the compatible mode with Windows XP or some other operating system and everything will be fine.

Even I was facing the same issue but after some search I solved it. First on the start icon and after that click on the run. Now on the run type: regedit and after that right click on the ok button. Now you will get the registry editor and under that locate tothe below registry key then delete the below entry:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
    Here look for the steam.exe, and once you get it then right click and after that select the delete.

I had the same problem but after following the above solution the error got resolved. I dont know what would have caused it to occur. The only thing that I did was to install a free to play Steam games. After playing for a while and going for lunch and coming back then I kept getting this error message. I also checked the compatibilty settings but that didnt work for me either. Anyways thanks for the above tips.