Thread: Warhammer 40K: Space Marine is a melee only game and follows God of Wars

Warhammer 40K: Space Marine is a melee only game and follows God of Wars

I just started the demo and played the first 2 sub bosses. I thought this is going to be a war hammer fantasy but its just a beat em’ up melee game, best way to kill some thing in the game is run at it and hit it with a big stick. They ran right at me and overwhelmed me, when you do get to shoot, it takes so many shots to kill just the weaker ones. I don’t get the feel of the game with just killing around. A bolter is good that sends rocket that explodes and it explodes the insides by entering the body of the orcs, but they don’t have much to give in weapons. This is just a clone of God of Wars for me, and nothing much innovative.

Re: Warhammer 40K: Space Marine is a melee only game and follows God of Wars

What are you telling? The game is meant to work like this, what problems do you have with it? If you know anything about Warhammer 40k, The orks are meant to be tough to kill, and the yalways have been in the warhammer series. I've found that a 2-4 shots from a bolt pistol or bolter easily do in an Ork and you can also ise chainsaw which kills of 3-4 at the same time. Ork stranth lies in their number so it is going to be tough.

I dunno but it felt empowering to me. I all goes down to the gameplay. Some people just really don't like Hack 'n' Slash/Beat 'em Up games. If you are one of them this game is not for you. People alike me are crazy about them. I grew up playing games like Final Fight, Cadillac and Dinosaurs, Golden Axe, Renegade, Double Dragon, Bad Dudes, Crime Fighters, etc. so these kinds of games are for me only.
    Because everyone wanted to cash in with a God of War clone, there ushered in a new era with a new feature to the Beat 'em Up formula: puzzles! God of War was a huge success and spawned a rash of wannabes, even to this day.

If you are not happy you can play in easy mode that would give you some practice. Also, try headshots then you will have fewer shots at them and still kill them. SM seems to refresh the Final Fight formula: beat the crap out of everything. The trick is all out attack by pushing the waves of orks. Just meleeing doesn't really work too well for me. I've found the best route is to melee when surrounded and and then repair health while executing and then charging back up. You can use a combo of stuns to make them stunned for a while to damage them while they are. Using a stun as the 4th attack in the chain that will send the enemy flying and stunned. The display is different with the Power Axe, but the technique is the same.