Thread: Shalkka vs KingJohnVI in Achron game

Shalkka vs KingJohnVI in Achron game

Here is a game between me and KingJohnVI. It is long but has quite many phases. For me it was a match to have somebody to play against to learn the basic execution/situation awareness things and it did work as learning material quite well. Being long it might be giving more entertainment per watch but posting here mainly because of no auto-replay share so that KingJohnVI gets a view too.

Re: Shalkka vs KingJohnVI in Achron game

Apparently there's a bug with replays beyond a certain length (magically, just beyond the length that I was testing). My gut reaction is that the replay files themselves should be ok, and that it's an engine replay bug, but I haven't had time to look into it yet. The game began with a rush by me, playing as CESO attacking Shalkka (Vecgir) with 2 infantry, with an early Lancer to help. The initial attack ultimately failed, but it set him back both in terms of territory (as I now essentially controlled the entire map outside his base) and resources. The rush continued for some time, as I now had two factories pumping out lancers, and constant raiding continued. After some additional fighting, I believe I managed to kill off his original base structure, but not his depot. With my resources and chronoenergy very low, I had to refocus on my base despite my early semi-victory, which he then used to rebuild his base and his army.

Each of us began to expand to our natural, which is very close, and to tech up. He began to build larger vehicles and aircraft, and tons of foundations, and I began building a Macrofab, another factory, and chronoport research began to be researched as well on both sides. We must have researched Chronoporting/Teleporting at similar times (I think I got it just a wee bit before him but I am not sure) as teleportation battles began to rage across the map. Echo attack after echo attack, followed by real attack, followed by Chrono-attacks on both sides found furious fighting, which eventually began to involve the center and upper reaches of the map. Shallka utilized far more advanced techniques than I did which slowly, but steadily began to give him back map control. He used slingshots to repel my forces; some even ended up stuck on the middle island between our bases where they could not escape. He attacked with more diverse forces, but especially relied heavily on Air in the later stages of the game, and as my QP began to run dry I was unable to build adequate forces to counter. An echo attack on my main had me reeling my forces back to my base, while he sent real attacks to devastate my northern and central resource outposts.

Though I was able to hold off a few initial assaults, slowly, steadily he gained ground. This was the beginning of the end. First he broke through the forces at the edge of his base, and then eliminated the center between our bases. My single Macrofab was not enough during the mid stages of the game to hold off his ever growing and powerful forces, and his superior troop combinations meant his victories cost him far fewer men. In one, increasingly desperate attack, I was able to gain a carrier with a nuke, but his forces were too large for me to break through and with a little maneuvering on his part the nuke killed only a few men. As the center began to collapse I rushed to rebuild my army, but having little QP remaining, I built hordes of Mechs instead.

I like to watch replays to see my mistakes, but it's also great to use replays for commentaries and/or marketing generally. So even if we can't fully watch this replay, we certainly do appreciate the work you are putting in to making replays functional generally.

As I moved them to a location near his base, and was building up the chronoenergy to attack, his forces made a massive invasion of mine. Having no chronoenergy to either undo the move or begin the planned assault, my forces watched helplessly, silently, as my base was destroyed. When the dust settled and my forces began moving again, it was too late. Too many were picked off by enemies from both the front and rear, and they were too weak to win the battle. For some reason I had been unable to construct any additional infantry, and with all my reserves gone, my northern base was useless, it could produce nothing. To save what little dignity I had remaining, I surrendered. All had been lost. But much was learned from the encounter And King John VI will raise again.

Made some good progress on fixing a lot of bugs today related to replay, and a few I found related to the game engine itself (yay for increased stability and reliability). I'm not sure if this current batch of replays will be identically watchable given some of these fixes, but I was able to watch most of this game replay on my current development build (with a handful of commands out of alignment based on recent changes, so I didn't get to see the whole game perfectly).

At one point when I saw a teleport I tried to set up a bridge out of his base but for some reason there were no buttons available in the unit to do it. It would have been hilarious to see suddenly all the CESO teleporting out as Vecgir teleport in.