Thread: Age of Empires Online: Never played PvP

Age of Empires Online: Never played PvP

Here how much I read till now about PvP, everyone wants PvP or some feature fixed/changed in PvP to give them more/less points etc. Well I just thought that I would point out that I will probably never play PvP - I didn't during the Beta and was quite happy just doing my own thing and when get the game for download will continue doing my own thing. I really need to play this game. But know mw more about this.

Re: Age of Empires Online: Never played PvP

I would say that I am somewhere in between. What I did most with Age 2 and 3 was set up myself and a couple of friends vs. some tough bots and see how we fared. We rarely actually played against each other. I tried PvP in age 3, but the imbalance between the cultures quickly made me disinterested, as I'm someone who gets bored playing with the same culture over and over. I don't know why people hate the quests so much, I think most of them are pretty interesting. Then again, I'm not an aggressive power gamer like so many are nowadays.

People questing will be the majority of people playing the game, it is the vocal minority that PvP, that is not to say PvP should be ignored, as the PvP'ers will most likely be the ones playing for longer and buying more content, but yes there are others here who mainly PvE, and that applies to pretty much all games I play, not just RTS'. Although i would like to see a small dev team dedicated to just make and interact with the pvp.

PvP players want to be completely independent of the PvE/MMO content, but it’s really not in the best interest of the overall game and community if they were. PvP has been setup this way but so that tweaks can be made to the rewards in future updates. It’s pretty clear they undershot the reward on purpose to be certain they weren't completely breaking the economy, but also to make sure PvP players didn't get exactly what they want.

A lot of people like PvP and a lot of people like PvE. There’s a reason people are complaining about PvP lately and that’s because PvP players have been more or less shafted by GPG. You don't like PvP? Well how would you feel if all of the gear in the game except for 3 pieces came from PvP? How would you feel if PvP players leveled up 4x faster than you? Well that’s how PvP Players feel right now. PvP gives terrible rewards both in terms of exp and loot. PvP players are complaining because there is a lot o complains about if you want to focus on PvP.

They want to change PvP rewards no doubt, but the stance they take is going to be critical in my opinion. To me this is a problem that needs solving, soon. If players are forced to level up at launch by playing PvE, a lot of PvP oriented players are going to be put off by this game very quickly. Yes, eventually they will fix PvP rewards, and new players will be able to level up and get gear in PvP, but the question is will they respond fast enough.

GPG has decided to focus this game on the PvPers first. The next step they are taking is too fulfilling the needs of many PVPers. In my personal opinion, for satisfaction purposes at launch they should have waited a month or two to launch this game, that way they would have more essential PVP content in this game. Instead they have decided to run the game, and have the content be added in as a patch in the near future after launch. I do believe however, those only weeks after launch, the whole PVP rewards will be changed.