Thread: Miss Shipments from The Capital City in Age of Empires Online

Miss Shipments from The Capital City in Age of Empires Online

There were some good suggestions on how to make them more exciting. Making capital cities more entertaining is good. However, making them more functional would be much better. Remember the shipments from the capital city in AoE I, II, and III? Why not something similar? Why not have some of those random villagers that currently do nothing but just walk around the capital, or pray to status, or fight with each other, do something productive?

Re: Miss Shipments from The Capital City in Age of Empires Online

Having shipments of resources would unbalance the game big time, as not all players would use it, and others would have more than someone else leading to a better economy in game than the opponent. Shipments would only be usable during quests, not matches. For matches, I think it should come to who has the best strategy, not who has a better head start.

It would be great if we could earn villagers -- population controlled by houses -- and have them do some work for us. For instance, there could be an option to build workshops where villagers could work creating shipments of food, gold, wood, or stone, that could be use for quests. There could also be a way to train military units to be shipped to quest cities. I think that would make the capital more productive and entertaining, since it would require managing villager and building within the capital city.

It would be nice to do this in quests. Yesterday I played a quest; I got the villagers collecting food and took my scout to find a better place to collect resources. I just get outside of the town center and noticed the AI already has a full built town with towers and everything. It sucks having to play catch up every time. The idea of Home Shipments was Home country cities helping to support their colonies in the new world.

As much as I like the ideas of this post, managing it all and everything, you are right, the shipments were from a home country in aoe3, within a country supplies to toward the capital, not away, (exception is military and food i guess). That would be nice when doing quests, and would also keep the AoE spirit alive.

The capital city was what made Age III quite enjoyable as a multiplayer experience; I agree that having Age of Empires Online use it could work. It would mean much more time put in the game, but it'd also mean having more interesting decisions to make in each quest rather than the typical "reach Age II, build 3 archery ranges and rush the enemy" strategy that works every time. Also, why'd they make politicians passive in-city cards? Why don't they let you choose from among politicians when you age up? I miss that a lot from Age of Mythology/Age of Empires III too.