Thread: Age of empires online stuck on deer quest

Age of empires online stuck on deer quest

I have some deer in a little area next to a cliff. They can't run south because of the cliff. They can't run north because of trees. They can't run east because of the edge of the map. I build a storehouse just to the west. I shoot 1 deer. All deer run west. Past the storehouse. Past my town center. Past the forest. Around the forest. Around the cliff. Deer make u-turn and run east. Run past the forest, along the cliff until they wind up. Maybe 20 feet from where they were originally, but now on the other side of the cliff so my storehouse is worthless.

Re: Age of empire online stuck on deer quest

It sounds like something that needs to get fixed. Path finding was always an issue with the age series. Though I wouldn't put it near the top of the list of the things that need to get done. At least the deers didn't jump off the cliff. Noticed this on "breaking eggs" as well. When you push out and build storehouses on the topside of the cliff, villagers will go all the way around the cliff to drop it off there because it’s closer in a straight line but ten times further than the actual closest storehouse.

It seems a possible solution would be to check length of path selected against how long the path should be. If it's way off, then it should do up to several new attempts, by selecting move to a different place. It would use the first path that meets the standard. If max attempts are reached, and no path meets the standard, then the best option should be chosen. I usually kill a dear first too, but I don't have time in all games to micro the villagers at the right time and when I look up the deer have gone!

These deer are very smart I think. I just deal with them by killing the first one BEFORE building the storehouse. After they run the first time, you have a time gap you can kill them all without triggering their defensive crazy run. So, kill them all and build the storehouse in this place. I often use my scout to do this job. Also, some units can kill deers anytime without triggering their run. The priests can do this.

In my opinion the deer shouldn't run far at all (or any huntables for that matter). Then hunt would then be a bit more attractive to go for, rather than berries. Which would make for more raiding earlier on, which in turn would make the game a bit more fun. I wouldn't say no to an increase in hunt gathering rates either. I whack the deer with my scout at the start of every game. They aren’t going anywhere if they're dead.

Hello thank you for your reply. I agree that the depreciation of dead game could and perhaps should be added--IF ehrm WHEN the issue of the frantic deer is corrected. Please Microsoft, fix this. Make them like in aoe (the first at least don’t know about the others now), where they jump a bit when you are near them not a frantic run when you kill one. This is what I am saying. So I am facing difficulty with that. I am not able to do anything.

Hello it’s really a nice discussion about it. Basically I am having the same query with it. and I want to know that Should do what I usually perform build the storehouse, and send some archers or other infantry units in first, kill all the deer, or you could just do it with a few villagers, if you don't have that many then stick to the bushes. What you guys think is it possible to use this trick to solve this issue. Please share your views on it.