Thread: Disappointment with Age of empires online

Disappointment with Age of empires online

I'm seeing a childish argument of either disappointed AoE fans or other free to play games or RTS in general. Against fans of Age of empire online. The biggest concern is the price of the game or should I say prices. I could understand this if it wasn't a free to play game and people had paid for the game and didn't get what they were promised thus feel cheated and flame about it on forums / in game. But the fact remains that you can play this game for free. OK it might not be as good as you think it could be and you might be annoyed that you enjoy the game but to play it properly you have to pay.

Re: Disappointment with Age of empire online

Yes it is that simple the only argument that I can see that is valid is that maybe you are disappointed with this being the next AoE and you wanted something different with better graphics and not a MMO style. It's not like they hid the game from the world until release you knew what was coming and what to expect. The only mistake was they made it out that you could play pvp at a high level for free which you can't but again that only takes $20 to do that.

If you think buying one or two civs gives you a "full" game that compares to other current games people can choose from or even past Age games you really don't understand what is missing from the game. Yes it's great that you can purchase a small portion of the game for the measly sum of $20 ( well you can if you don't live outside of the USA) but please don't dismiss people who look at the full range of what is available to purchase and then wonder about its cost.

Moaning might lower prices in this case, because they are trying a new scheme to see what they can get away with. Offering a boxed AOEO for $20 in Best Buy was smart marketing, but then offering a $100 bundle at the same time and making it easy to point out how overpriced the game really is was a dumb move. If they lower the price now then they will appease of lot of their critics, but piss off the people who did buy the $100 bundle. Rocky start, either way.

Do you really expect this great game to be completely free? Look at all the other AoE games. Did you get it free? Unless you pirated, no. And this is almost the same, except it's even in favor of many people, because you can play it free, and see if you like it or not. If you do, you can buy premium packs, and if you don't, you can just step away. Stop complaining people! You get a heck of lot for free, and 20 bucks to get the premium stuff for a single civ. I like this much better than paying a monthly fee.

The big issue for me is that this game (which I actually quite enjoy) has far less content than a standard game, but it's almost twice the price, even in the US (where it's cheapest). Most PC games here in Canada are $59.99, versus the 100$ (roughly) for two civs with no LAN support, simple graphics (not saying it’s a bad thing, just that it cost less to produce), no skirmish mode (initially), no replays, small maps with VERY simple terrain.

They aren't getting people to pay because the game is awesome. They know their game isn't worth the money and that's why they resort to cheap tricks like limiting inventory space, granting useless Empire Points, sending you on quests that require a booster pack, etc. I would willingly pay $50 for this. That would still be $8.30 per month, which is more than reasonable for what we're getting. That's half of what they're asking for.