Thread: Struggling Quest in Age of Empires Online

Struggling Quest in Age of Empires Online

Each quest I play, I find myself struggling to do it, not because I find it difficult, challenging or thought provoking, but because I find it comical. It amazes me that you require me to sit through hours upon hours of missions and quests about stories, I really couldn't give about. I paid $70 AUD for these two civs, not because I like the game, but because I love the series. Age of Empires 3 was where I began online gaming; it was an addiction that lasted the best part of 3 years. The only reason I force myself to continue to struggle through these missions is the promise the ladder. I'm currently level 18 playing through the Egyptian campaign (was level 40 Greek on beta, twice).

Re: Struggling Quest in Age of Empires Online

I don't know a person on these forums who isn't in support of this argument. This is the third thread about it, and through the other threads it has been made abundantly clear that people want pvp rewards. I posted because the exp reward for PvP wedges, but you also can't get any gear or gold and are forced into PvE whether you like it or not. The responses were overwhelmingly positive. I really hope GPG takes a hint here because the customers have made it incredibly clear what we want, and we want it now.

We are running out of patience with, what a lot of people find to be, incredibly boring and simplistic quests. I'm sick of starting with 5 vills and spending 5 minutes building up my economy for a single player mission that’s very generic and boring. If you built more creative quests and less quests where you had to start from scratch and build an economy it wouldn't be as boring, but quest design isn’t going to change at this point so fix the PvP rewards so players like me who only care about multiplayer can have a good time and stop feel like we're being punished.

Being able to level through pvp only could be a good sell argument too. Those who look for pvp are inevitably going to be upset with having to do 100000 quests etc before they're able to do what they want with the game. It's been said many times PVP needs its own gear. The sole reason to removing consumables, and nerfing advisors was so the game was easier to balance PVP, but I don't think it was a solid change in the first place.

Pro civs won’t fix the problem. Starting at level 20? What about the other 20 levels? And the fact remains that you still get no gear from PvP except for 2 level 40 pieces from Sparta points. Pro civs won't fix the problem they'll just take away the 1-20 part of it. 20-40 is still going to wedge and you're still going to have to spam quests for gear. It is to keep exploiting down to a minimum, and if they remove the pvp ranked/player system rewards then it will not be possible to keep farming to a minimum.

I agree with getting gear from PVP but that's a different issue. There are also issues with getting gear from PVP since people can find ways to do fake matches to grind for gear, instead of say have to beat difficult missions in elite mode, that would require a lot of micro/macro skills. Which would mean you may need to differentiate the gear, and then you'd still have to do missions to get particular gear you're interested in.

The system isn't broken for PVP; rather it's combined with MMO characteristics. A ton of MMO players play MMO's for PVP, but they still know they have to play certain dungeons, or grind to get certain gear, that then they can use in PVP. That's what coop missions are. They're still social, but it's PVE. And those that don't care about the gear just play PVP with crappier gear. I think that is the drawback for the MP setup.

I don’t have the time to sit around playing "kill 500 fishing boats!!" I would much rather pay someone $250 and have them level my account to level 40, then pay another person to acquire items on my account (so technically not using the account for trade) so that I don’t have to waste my time. I want to PVP, and would be happy spending time doing it, but at this point in time I cannot justify spending time doing PVE. My hobby is playing with friends, not playing with myself.