Thread: Drop In/Drop Out Split Screen in Resistance 3

Drop In/Drop Out Split Screen in Resistance 3

If you ever played Haze, it had this feature in its non-ranked matches of the online multiplayer. It’s the ability to be playing a game single player, have a friend come in the door, turn on a controller and hit start, the screen would then go into split screen mode and then two people could play without having to back out of the game. I thought it was a really cool feature and I heard All 4 One is supporting drop in/drop out multiplayer (although not split screen). Anyways my thoughts were, would you like to see this in the campaign & multiplayer of Resistance 3?

Re: Drop In/Drop Out Split Screen in Resistance 3

Campaign and private matches is fine. Absolutely not in public online competitive. I am sick of it in CoD and other games where you kill one and the other split screen person is camping right behind them. Make any argument for it you want, it is an unfair advantage for someone to see 2 separate areas of the map at once. Sometimes I question, especially in some game modes, if 1 person is controlling both 'players'. Once again, absolutely not. Deal breaker for me in competitive mode, to be honest.

Split screen online and offline can often make games much more fun. Take Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for example. My friends and I love to play that game together in the same room due to all the awesome stuff that happens in it even though it's only one player per console. It would be even more fun if we were doing that awesome stuff together split screen. Resistance 2 had the feature, and I don't see a good reason why R3 shouldn't. It does seem feasible, though, given the low player count-good graphics trade off.

It should soon become standard in any game. Sony is pushing 3D which should allow anyone to just drop in or out while in 2D mode. Anyone not familiar with what I'm saying should use Google to find the reason why KZ3 has split screen campaign. Anyone complaining about it online should grow a pair and get better at gaming. Drop in/ drop out split screen is different from regular split screen though. I think it would be a much cooler feature since many games do not support this

I can understand not allowing it in ranked matches, but strictly for campaign split screen and online split screen (unranked) I think this feature would really make the game more accessible AND make it stand out from other games. Especially if I needed some help on a level and ask my buddy to help out. He could just be like sure, turn on the controller, login in, help me beat some enemies and then be like got to go, log out and I'm back to battling solo.

I think drop in / drop out split screen is really awesome for SP, but it's something that has to be implemented into the engine early on. I don't think we'll see it in Resistance 3, simply because IG has stated that there are tweaks to the campaign when playing with 2 people, so it would have to load the necessary changes (if any) in order to accommodate another player. However it seems quite simple to have the game spawn new enemies as two players become visible.