Thread: Age of Empires Online: Historical Civs

Age of Empires Online: Historical Civs

I went through some of the old Greek texts (Herodotus) as well as some other sources like the Bible, Chinese history fragments etc and tried to find a collection of civilizations that existed between 3000BC-350BC. Shades of Greek/Hellenistic Civs - Maybe not playable Civs but good source for content PvE etc. anyone have any idea about all this? Please provide me link or any list of detailed information about this.

Re: Age of Empires Online: Historical Civs

What about the Native Americans! We really need Mongols or any of the Steppe civilizations, at least one of them; I think they would allow creation of great new game mechanics and fresh gameplay and/or army compositions. Native Americans would be great for this game. I wouldn't even mind seeing the Sioux, as much as an anachronism that would be. Composite Bow - Effective range 400m vs Jungle Bow -Effective Range 50m

Are you talking about American civs? Sarissa Effective range 200m vs. Dart Pipe Effective range 30m. Ballistas - Effective range 200m vs. Rock throwers. Heavy Infantry (Bronze Armor) vs. Jaguar skin and deer skin armor. Catapaults vs. Slingers. I mean really dude does someone have to make it that clear? The Civs I mentioned all kicked back at some point in time and were hardened for war. If any of those Civs attacked Native Americans they would have destroyed them in the first hour of battle.

Why only until 350 BC? It’s not like the ancient world suddenly stops there. It’s not like Etruscans, Romans; Carthage etc are any less part of that world. Any prospective category should stretch at least to 0 AD and further. That is probably the most known and interesting period of ancient times. And why take it back to 3000 BC? What of any interest was happening back then? I am open to persuasion but that seems a rather boring and non-nonsensical criteria. It just misses the Punic Wars.

After the Golden Age in Greece which ends around 350-300BC the world has changed forever. Romans, Carthage, Etruscans are provinces of a Hellenic World that spanned from Hispania (South East Spain) to Persia. As a result you couldn't really tell the difference from a hoplite in Spain, Carthage, Rome, Persia, Egypt, Ethiopia or anywhere else. The first world community was created and everything started to melt into a common Hellenic world.

Ptolemy one of Alexanders' generals (Who was the new bloodline for all Pharaohs of Egypt e.g. All the Pharaohs of Egypt after 350BC were Greeks) writes or orders the writing and compilation of the first Old Testament. He gathered 70 priests and ordered them to find every conceivable scroll and script written about the Monotheistic God. The result was the first compilation of scriptures into a book. We know it by the name Septuagint or the LXX (70), its original language was Greek.

There is no such thing as 0AD BTW the time scale goes 1BC then 1AD. But at this time (and i do get what you mean) Religion starts to take hold and it is spreading rather rapidly. It is spreading fast because the whole Middle East and Europe are using a common language that links all their technologies and ideas together. Around 300 years later and Constantine is forced to declare the formal religion of the Roman Empire as Christian. We start to see civilizations that are warring over religion between 100AD - 320AD.

If it was purely fun factor, I would rather have Australian Aboriginals with boomerangs. Watching boomerangs flying in the game would be more fun than Aztec or Mayan weapons which were mainly clubs and crude axes. Maybe Blow pipes would be fun to see but I just can't visualize what else would be fun. All I did was list the prominent Civilizations that were historically "kick back" between 3000BC-350BC. I personally have no problem with Australian Aboriginals being in the game for the fun factor. But at the same time it ruins the RPG feeling you get when you’re playing the game if all the Civs are just random, we may as well include the Centaur tribe and the Orcs.