Thread: Lack of Unique Weapons in Resistance 3

Lack of Unique Weapons in Resistance 3

The Atomizer and the Mutator, are there any other "out there" special guns? I mean you got the Carbine, Marksman, Auger and all the guns from the previous games. And you have your remakes of weapons (Firestorm, Deadeye) but R: FOM had a BUNCH of other unique weapons that you didn't use all the time, but were so fun when you did. Then in R2 it just kind of dropped a bunch of the uniqueness basically having only the splicer and the pulse cannon. I mean there was the Wraith and Bellock and such but the Idea behind them was simple. Machine gun and grenade launcher. Nothing SWEET like the splitter that took practice to use properly.

Re: Lack of Unique Weapons in Resistance 3

I hope R3 didn't loose the flavor of weapons R: FOM had. And hopefully there are other weapons they're just not showing us right now, and are surprises when the game finally comes out. Currently there is only one unreleased weapon, and I doubt it will be that cool. The only unique gun in this game seems to be the Atomizer, but I haven't played it yet so I don't know how it feels when you fire it. All the guns in the beta feel boring, except for the Auger. But now that they changed it to a kill streak, a lot of people who aren't that good can't really use it in MP.

I think he is describing more sequel fatigue. When you play RFOM for the first time, EVERYTHING is brand new and your jaw is like. Unfortunately for sequels, you can’t completely redo the "filler" weapons like the assault rifles, shotguns, etc so you get more repetition. Uncharted and Killzone suffer from this as well, Killzone 3 had like 1 brand new weapon and all the rest were exactly the same. At least from the demo R3 does a good job at making old weapons feel new.

I feel like a lot of the guns fire the same. The Carbine and Bullseye feel almost indistinguishable except for the sound. But I do feel like it's just sequel fatigue. The Marksman feels exactly the same, so I feel kind of bored with it. The Rossmore is just your standard shotgun, and except for your secondary, the Deadeye feels like a standard sniper. The Mutator feels like a slow, goopy flamethrower. Again, the only gun I feel is unique is the Auger. If I had to state one improvement of the game, I'd say the Auger. And that's about it.

Killzone 3 really didn't bring in any unique weapons, well 1: all they did to the other guns was add attachments. Still a brilliant game though. R3's weapons look really nice and it really does look like it is doing a good job at making old weapons look new but I would much rather see new weapons, weapons fun to use (not that the weapons we've seen now don't already look fun). But think about their secondaries. Also with this new upgrade system, they look and play even crazier. Maybe there aren't too many guns in general just to keep balance, but the crazy ones are useful unlike some in R: FoM or R2.

That sounds about right. But if I remember, a lot of Ratchet and Clank guns feel fresh and new every sequel. Maybe as a Kid I just didn't notice the fact that they were recycling the same weapons. The new upgrade system is definitely keeping the old weapons from being the same exact thing like Killzone 3. I was just hoping for as many exotic weapons as the first. The game and ALL the weapons still look fantastic thou. This was a very small complaint.

Actually, weapon selection in Single Player is vital. You wouldn't want the game to be too easy or too hard, would you? Also, the game is built around what your weapon choice is. So, you can't simply "drop a weapon." The game design from the ground up has to be taken into account for the type of weapon it is. This is even more so true with the weapon wheel when the user has their choice of what to use at all times.

This is true, but considering you can control the difficulty of the game, if you decide to include a strong weapon, couldn't you make the default difficulty harder? For example, casual would be harder than what normal "casual" would be, and "Superhuman" would be harder than what normal "Superhuman" difficulty would be. Furthermore, a lot of those weapons had pretty straightforward applications (the Hailstorm was essentially an alien machine gun, the Reapers were essentially "Akimbo" sub machine guns, etc), so would their presence play a huge role in the game's "flow".