Thread: Brink Agents of Change: ATI users under performing

Brink Agents of Change: ATI users under performing

After experiencing not great performance with ATI cards can anyone post here i want to see if 1 element is a deciding factor, since some people are having great times with ATI also. Please don’t post if you have nvidia card as this will just confuse the issue. i tried lowering every setting last night and still got FPS drops in certain areas. Whacking all settings up seemed to see the same fps. so something is bottlenecking somewhere. Is it the CPU maybe?

Re: Brink Agents of Change: ATI users under performing

I have managed to get my system to run smoothly about 50-60 by using the newest RC and some tweaking of the config. There is one factor though that doesn’t change regardless of my settings or drivers. Wide open areas. The post processing effect that is used prominently in this game is depth of field. So as the view distance increases frame rates drop the effect intensifies. This is most apparent in security tower. I get frame rate increases across the board with the updates except for here. It must have something to do with an un-optimized depth of field shaders. I have found no way to disable it. Or it may be emulated or at least tied to the CPU in some way. If we had the ability to tweak it or just disable, this might fix a lot of the problems people are having with ATI.

Have you tried 11.5b? I have got 11.6 rc2 with the opengl fix and seem worse, got my new beefy heat sink and fan so going to try on the OC from. I can get 3.1 but not that stable. Hopefully get up to 3.4 or so. Maybe 4 but doubt it with this mobo. It boosted my FPS greatly. Especially in 8v8 matches, things are smoother. I have everything in CCC set to let the application control the functions, and have catalyst AI disabled. i also have V-sync on,(screen tearing drives me nuts) and no other options in the Advanced Tab of the video settings menu enabled.

Unfortunately I have now run into a fat load of "dxgkrnl.sys" related crashes. Unless this is 'Brinkit's' issue, I'm going back to 11.5. 11.6 Consistently BSoD's - and I am not putting up with the litany of excuses that inevitably comes in the form of 'support' (maybe it’s your ram, hdd, cpu, over clock, anti-viral etc ad nauseum - it's the drivers!). I will keep you posted Smoochy - but I'm currently connection capped' and nead to d/l 11.6 manually (as opposed to Steam's update), so I can roll back - I'll post again in the morning with a detailed breakdown.

Back to 11.5 no crashes 45-60fps. No AO/HQ/Shadows. It's AMD'S default forced multi-sampling that caused the pre-game crashes. Might give 11.6 another try when I have more time. Now playing 45-60fps on 11.5, everything enabled (1650 x1050) after pushing the proc' to 4.9 GHz (air). 2 game crashes to date. This makes no sense - unless somehow after booting in safe mode and removing them, the 11.6 drivers are still present. No more "dxgkrnl.sys" BSoD’s.

Drivers 11.5 hot fix drivers for brink. (Have not tried the 11.6 drivers yet). Ever since i bought the game it seems like it's locked on 30fps because it rarely goes over that amount unless i just stare into the ground. i have shadows and textures set to high i tried turning them down a bit but it didn't affect FPS at all ambient occlusion, motion blur and post something quality something are all set to off. Does it help to mention that it is a laptop?

Nicely done Smoochy. I will be heading in that direction once dollars become a bit more available. I'm keen to see what a 384bit bus can throw at my rig. I'm having nothing short of a horrendous time playing any more than one game in a row at the moment. I have 'de-clocked' and gone all the way back to 11.2 (where invisible bots are frequent) just to play. When I am not getting BSoD’s its crashing between level loads and at startup - only resolved temporarily by rebooting.

The game played so much better and looked awesome. i was able to run around as light with pistol and knife and cause mayhem. Ref the memtest. I had the same thing. Stable at 3.4 but not in brink. i have an SSD coming next week now so maybe that might help with some stuff. Still tempted by an i7 sandy bridge setup. Depends on how well i do on eBay this week. i have a few HTC phones to sell, just seems like the only buyers are scam artists! 'Just post to Nigeria and payment goes through as soon as you get a tracking order'

Weird just doesn't cut it. As you can see from my previous posts I was playing on 11.6 for a good 2 days before experiencing any difficulties. I had no problems at all from day one on 11.5 or 11.5b hot fix, I was posting for the benefit of others - originally. The experience has been decidedly inconsistent. Not at all what I have experienced with other ATI/AMD drivers. That’s why I had no hesitation in migrating to them straight away.