Thread: how to move steam games from one location to other

how to move steam games from one location to other

I have many games which I purchased over the steam. And many of those are installed on my system. When I installed steam client on the default location. That is the C:\program files I have less space left on the C drive. My window is also on the same drive. Since the space was less my system is now really slow. So I want to move some of the games installed on the steam to other location like D:\or E:\. I don’t want to take backup of the game and I want to move the game only without removing it. Is it possible to do? If yes please provide the way to do it.

Re: how to move steam games from one location to other

I have the solution for you but before you can do this I need more information about the system.
    To move the files the minimum requirement of the system is as follows
    - Window NT system. OS which are based on it Windows XP ,Windows Vista
    - Drive must be NTFS.
    - IF you don’t have NTFS partition in system. Then use the convert command to change the partition to the NTFS.
    Some technical information which you must know before doing all that
    Why I am saying Windows NT based OS since it uses NTFS file system. It allows us to create Junction folder. Junction is the folder which content actually shows stored in one location for e.g. C:\folder but actually its content is stored in other location that is E:\original folder. So actually the space used by hard disk is stored on the E:\ only so the C:\ will have lots of space.

Thanks for helping me
    My system specs is
    • Windows XP with Service Pack 3
    • 120GB HDD having 3 partitions all are NTFS only

And I have steam client and all the games in C:/program files/steam/ folder which is default location of the steam.

Ok I have seen your system specification. Yes it satisfies all the requirements.
    Here are the steps you can do to move the game from one location to other.
    • For Windows XP you need to have linkd.exe file. Download the windows server 2003 resource kit. After installing it you will get that file.
    • For Windows Vista no need to install anything. The command mklink is available with it.
    • Linkd and mklink syntax are almost same.
    • You must know the folder structure. From where you want game to be moved and to which location it has to be stored.
    • In my example I am showing you that my actual steam location is at C:\steam and D:\my game is the swap location for it.
    • Run the command prompt. Type cmd in the run box and press enter.
    • Now I am showing you how to move the game Trackmania Nations Forever, the location of the game will be C:\stea\steamapp\common\Trackmania Nations Forever to the location D:\my game\Trackmania Nations Forever.
    • Type in command prompt linkd “C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\ Trackmania Nations Forever " "D:\mygame\ Trackmania Nations Forever ".
    • Its done Trackmania Nations Forever will take space in D: but it will be available in the C:\mygame\Trackmania Nations Forever.
    • It’s for the third party games.

Thanks, its works for me. I have created swap partition on my E:\ now I have more space one C:\ drive. But its only works with the third party games and not with the actual Valve steam games. Like CS. Is there other way to do for those games?

Yes it has other way sorry for not mentioning on the steps here what you can do to move valve games. Moving default valve game is difficult since the game stored in the GFC files only. linkd command will not work for this . Since it’s used for creating mirrors of the folder only and not the files. So one solution is to mirror entire steam apps folder with it. mklink command is used for copying single file.So use the mklink command to copy single file. But problem with it is that its used in vista only. I am not confirmed but in windows XP there is command known as fsutil which can be used to mirror the single file. So try to use it.

I have Half Life 2 and CS Source Which I want to move. But can’t get solution for moving it I don’t want to take Backup and reinstall game in other location. So I tried your method which you mentioned using fsutil since the linkd not working for GFC files. Before using fsutil I have taken help in dos regarding command. After that I have used that command. And what it works I have successfully moved only the game CS Source and Half Life 2. Nice solution mate.