Thread: Panzer Corps: suggestion for AT Guns and King Tigers

Panzer Corps: suggestion for AT Guns and King Tigers

I want to ask that how do you beat a pack of 5 units of King Tigers? Apart from the AI making miserable mistakes, these units looks unbeatable to me. I don't consider I ever destroyed a KT unit in the entire match, though I miraculously caught one in a city with AT-equipped infantry and, since I had pretty much won by then, I attacked just to see what would happen. I scored 5 damage but took 8, then died pretty much immediately the next turn. The AI even brought two more KTs as a 5 strength KT is actually not sufficient to beat a 2 strength infantry.

Re: Panzer Corps: suggestion for AT Guns and King Tigers

The AI looks to spawn just the greatest tanks. In my experience most of the German heavies and the Panthers are fairly hard to destroy. The only success I have had is if the KT is low on ammo - perhaps use weak infantry that will die, or recons to draw off the remaining ammo; then surround it as best you can, or so that if it retreats it will do so into a city or forest hex; then hit with artillery, then with TBs, then the heaviest attack tank, then infantry or whatever is available and then another tank. The order of attack may vary. If you can surround the KT and force it to retreat it will surrender often the best to hope for. Otherwise, I like you, find them pretty tough nuts to crack.

You actually should co-ordinate better for maximizing all the bonuses of your units in attacks and preferably simultaneously. In any case, Kings were the top feared tank of the war, so they SHOULD cause some pain. You'd be a fool to pay that prestige for them were this not the case. It's lucky for us in the real event, they were used wrong and ran out of fuel. It's also lucky for us they chose way too few uber tanks, instead of way too many perfectly good proven Pz IVs.

King Tigers are extremely good units but not unbeatable. Your best bet is to leave them out of ammo. In Ardennes you have a lot of tank and AT options in US and GB arsenal with good hard attack ratings. Tiger is a formidable opponent for them, but if it is out of ammo, it cannot shoot, and they can finish it off pretty fast. To reduce Tigers ammo supplies, you can do multiple attacks, but also strategic bombers can be employed with good effect.

Why AT guns not act like AA guns? AA guns attacks Airplane while Airplane attack unit next to AA gun and Airplane, why AT guns not attack tanks in defense when tanks attack unit close to AT gun and himself. To me better to rise price and make AT guns behave like AA guns and Artillery, because AT is defensive unit and you always left to attack with it. To me AT is mostly useless and much better to spend prestige on other units.

I like to have enhanced MP play intended for my custom map, my friend and I like to play from start with prestige and no unit on map just to have greater and wider strategy options. Wright now neither of us will buy AT guns and for us they not exist. From that start point we have little options, ending almost always to buy heavy tanks and what is strategy to have AT guns and wait to Tiger II lose.

If AT guns supported actions at a range of 0 like fighters do, that might be a nice compromise. They wouldn't be able to hide behind infantry and escape direct attack, but they could be screened by infantry to prevent them from being attacked by more than 1 tank at a time. The infantry would still benefit from the AT gun's support if the attacking armor is funneled into a hex adjacent to both. This would be situational, but would give AT guns a lot more use for defending in certain terrain features. Right now I think they're just too expensive for what they do.

I purchased AT guns explicitly to try and figure them out in that scenario. I didn't know they got an initiative penalty but I was trying to get a feel for them in practice. I put them in forests, on hills, in the open, in cities. I let them attack and defend. Some had time to get entrenched. Some did not. All in all I was disappointed with the results. I noticed later in another scenario that a heavily entrenched AT gun unit in a fortified hex can really do a number on armor, but that's a pretty small niche.