Thread: Fog of war option no longer in Commander - The Great War

Fog of war option no longer in Commander - The Great War

I am following the news about this game because I enjoyed it immensely Commander Europe at War and Commander Napoleon at war and I have wanted to create a playable game based on WW1 game design itself. However, reading the "Faction Preview Episode 1" I was a little dismayed by the statement in one of the headline "Fog of war is no longer optional in-game settings." Am I understanding this correctly - the fog of war changed in the beginning of the game will be removed and fog of war will always be "ON"?

Re: Fog of war option no longer in Commander - The Great War

It would be difficult to add as an option, but it is a vital part of the game. Playing disabled FoW would be like playing without naval warfare. You just turn off a whole part of the game. In WW1, like any war, the recognition was essential. It was the reason that triggered the war of the heavens and the rapid development and improvement of aircraft. If you play without FoW no reason to build planes, at least not until much later in the game when fighters and bombers to be powerful enough to affect the strategic situation on the ground.

I understand your point of fog of war making the game more realistic and have a direct impact on the construction and deployment of air units. And your point is valid. However, my point is that the fog of war was an option that was available in CEAW and it is better to provide options for players instead of removing the options. Games can be more realistic with the fog of war option "in", but for some of our games are more fun with the fog of war option "off". It is this balance of age in the computer simulations between fun and realism. But I think if given the sufficient rule of choices for the player who can find their own comfort level between the two.

I would add that although I have a problem with the fog of war option are eliminating all the other articles I've read in two bulletins of the Great War update look great. I realize that many people in Lords and Slitherine are presenting a lot of effort into this project and for my part, I know that is appreciated. Some of us have been waiting a long time to have playable game WW1 strategic equipment available and the "Great War" certainly looks to be. I just want you to reconsider removing the fog of war option.

I agree more options are always better than less, but I understand the reasoning of the developers about the game mechanics. The option should be available, but with a "warning" in the FoW outside to play with affect game mechanics and general experience, it would be an acceptable compromise in my opinion. I agree that probably the first operating playable WW 1 game out there, and we all want the best!

I think it's important for game developers to get feedback from customers. And I was happy to read that you both feel the fog of war once again be an option for players. I am always of the belief that the options provided players the better. Because years from now when we are playing this game for the umpteenth time you want as many options as possible to keep things fresh! Thus most of the players might be inclined to play the game with FoW ON and get all the flavor of the game as mentioned by the designer.

Here I just wish to add something in this case. I think from the fog of war ON / OFF CEAW code already exists and would not be too difficult CNAW for designers of the Great War to take to incorporate in this new game. Maybe if he did then set the fog of war the default setting to ON in the beginning of a new game to more players that would end with him and all the flavor of the game as described in your message.