Thread: Steam should allow us to install the game in whichever folder we want

Steam should allow us to install the game in whichever folder we want

I have started this thread to inform you all that why is that steam does not gives us any option of installing the game in whichever folder we want? Can you all please explain to me about it. As I am very much interested in knowing about it. Why cant I store the game in my own folder instead of storing the folder in the steam’s folder. Just a suggestion that I wanted to make it to you all. can you all please explain it to meas if what else can be done here. Is there any procedure In which we will be able to store the game in our own respective folder. Please do comment something over here. I am waiting for the help from you all. so please do reply accordingly over here.

Re: Steam should allow us to install the game in whichever folder we want

Yes that is a a good point that you have made over here and I must agree on the same. that is what I want to say over here, so thanks a lot for making this thread here. Appreciate the efforts that you have made over here. So thanks a lot for the same. It is really difficult when we install the game in one drive only how much load will that dive take? Something the developers need to think on and address it accordingly. So that’s what I wanted to say here, hope everyone here will agree to it.

I completely support your idea now that is the reason why I ended up buying the 2TB of hard drive. So that’s what I want to say here. 1TB of the entire drive is completely full and while the other half is still left. Actually I have around 250 games installed in the drive and hence the necessary space required. Though the independence of the storing of the games would still be a better option for me but still never matters for me as far as I am having the independent space in my system, there are really no issues for me I feel.

I have got one brilliant suggestion for you but before starting with the procedure I just want to warn all that this method is only for those who are technically good. So here goes the suggestion if you have heard about the symbolic link, then do one thing create it. mind you it is only created in the windows vista as well as the windows 7 system using the MKLINK command. So that’s quite a good option for you to try out here. Now after creating it just copy the folder and paste it to the any of the location that you want. Now create the symbolic link in the SteamApps folder and apply it there only i.e. in the new directory. So hope you have got the exact suggestions out here. Do work on the same and let me know if it works out for you or not?

I have one more solution here, do ensure that you follow the necessary steps that I have given here.
    1) First of all you need to shut down the steam and then move all the steam folder to the new locations wherever you want.
    2) Now having done that delete the 2 BLOB files.
    3) Now start the steam again and now what it will do is that it will retrieve the new updated information there.
    4) Now give all the respective information for the new steam account there and everything will be fixed out here.

So do try the above steps that has been given here and I am sure it will be of great help for you. so that is what I think here.

Ok that’s interesting and I was thinking that steam does allows us to store the games folder in any of the locations that we want because that is what I heard it from the new updates carried out by the steam people. Do correct me if I am wrong.

Yes that can be correct but you will not be able to store the different games and in the different folder. That is what the main drawback, means you will not be able to split different games in different folders. So that’s the reason why I had started the game. However there are two suggestions that are given over here. Time to look out for that and I will inform you guys about the same.