Thread: Steam not allowing running Third-party games

Steam not allowing running Third-party games

All third-party games that I have won’t run on steam whenever I try to launch. I get an error like: Steam must be running to play this game. This happens with braid, with torches, Civ IV and osmosis, but portal works very well. I basically try to run this game on MacBook Pro 2.4 with Leopard 10.5.8 which I have. I tried to reinstall all applications and steam, but still I have the same problem. Anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Steam not allowing running Third-party games

I have exactly the same problem, both with torches and Alitude won’t run because of the apparent "Steam is not running" messages. Portal works perfectly well, so I'm at a loss at the root of the problem. Anyways what is your directory? Often, removing the clientregistry.blob can help. And make sure you do not run the games directly, but begin through the Steam client. You can find the clientregistry.blob in ~ / Library / Application Support / vapor.

I have the same problem with torches. Never download the demo version only if you try to steam to start the game I get the error SteamAPI. I had the opportunity to start in Safe Mode = 1, but the game starts in window mode and the demo version. If I try to vary the resolution to full screen the game collides with the same error. I tried reinstalling Steam and the game, defragged the game cache, integrity verified, but that did not help. Well, you can try it and I hope that helps.

Well, after leaving work today I came home and decided to try running these games one more time. Braid worked! Maybe it was a problem with Steam Cloud? Not sure, but the problem seems to have corrected, at least for me. But even this is creating problems at times. I wish someone has a proper solution for it. If the problem still occurs then I suggest you to return the game and get the money back. This may be the only solution left.

Killing Floor gives me that chance. Some days I can play other games but these games, not at all. I have MacBook 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 320M. Tripwire says Valve's problem, along with a myriad of other technical problems. A ticket has been filed with the valve yet? You can also make contact with the customer service center or send your request in your website. Hope you have a good solution to solve this problem. If you give any solution, please post here.