Thread: Disabling Steam In-Game in Non-Steam games

Disabling Steam In-Game in Non-Steam games

I am having some problem in disabling the Steam In-Game. I searching for the solution from long time and have not found any solution for it. In Steam games, the In-Game overlay can be disabled very easily from the Steam properties. But there is no such benefit for the non-steam games. The only solution that I have got is to completely disable the Steam in-game which is much more irritating. Can anyone help me to find a proper solution for it? Is there any command or anything else that can disable in-game steam overlay?

Re: Disabling Steam In-Game in Non-Steam games

Even I am having the Steam In-game, and sometimes I really need to disable the steam Overlay for some of my games. It is very easy to do this and not of much difficulties. All you need to do is just go to the Steam library and then right click on the game that you are having and go to the properties option. In the properties window you can find the Enable Steam Community in-game and then uncheck on it. This will really help you out.

I have not tested myself but heard that you can do this in few simple steps. When you open the steam window, you need to go to the settings option and in that you will find the In-game potion. All you need to do is just remove the tick mark from the Enable Steam Community In-Game. This must probably disable the in-game overlay from all the games that are non-Steam games. So I think this is the only method that you can do

Hey but if you are using the non-steam games then this property is not available in those games. So every time you just need to enable/disable the overlay option. But you can disable the in-game steam overlay just by going to the registry value of the EnableGameOverlay. You can find the registry value from the location:
    Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam\Users\<user number>\system
    Once you get the registry open the appropriate file and then change the value to zero for disabling it.

I would be agreed with option but, for launching many of my applications like 3DSMAX, Unity, and Visual Studio and many other applications I use Steam and also for many of my games. And I like the option that is there for disabling overlay for the in-game community as per the game that I play. I just untick the Enable Steam Community In-Game option as some of the games that uses multiple view ports does not work well.

I have seen many of the games that does not support the Steam overlay option. It is odd for the games that really run on the steam and cannot get disable them. But the games that are not from the Steam will not be able to disable this overlay option. So it really a question that how can one change the steam overlay for the games that non-steam games. I have no idea about, how to disable the overlay for the games that are not form steam.

Thanks to everyone for their response. I was really disappointed with disabling the steam overlay for non-steam overlay games. I just tried to change the value of the EnableGameOverlay from the registry folder to zero and it really helped me out. So I think anyone else who is facing the same problem can try this method, this really worked for me.