Thread: Will 2h weapons be balanced in The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

Will 2h weapons be balanced in The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

Has anyone given thought to whether using a 2h weapon will have advantages over dual wielding Goldbrand/Mehrune's Razor type weapons? Or Mehrunes/Zomg Uber Spell I Made? Obviously PC can overcome issues via mods, but we Consolers might be pigeon holed into the superior choice. (Which sounds like DW for melee guys?) Lemme guess, 2h weapons have been streamlined into 2 one hand weapons? I did do a search for this, naturally it returned nothing. I'd be surprised if this has not been mentioned. If it has, a link would be appreciated.

Re: Will 2h weapons be balanced in The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

I would assume 2h's would have a much higher DMG per hit and perks like unstoppable blow (cannot be blocked) or knock downs or wide AOE swings maybe. Will it be better than DW/1h/Spell or worse than them? No Idea but as long as they make it enjoyable to play, I wouldn't really care. I'm not really sure of this, but I think there has been mentioned a perk where you can hit several people/creatures/whatever with 2h weapons.

I think 2h weapons will be balanced by having huge dmg, aoe, and knockdown hits, but they won’t be as fun as duel wielding swords or spells or combining them, so I think duel wield will be the most fun to play with since you can duel wield anything except bows and 2h weapons I mean think of the possibilities, 1 hand axe 1 hand mace, 1 hand sword 1 hand staff etc. You can actually block with 2h weapons which is a pretty big advantage

Right now, we can only speculate on this, though I do hope that Bethesda puts more effort into making two handed weapons worthwhile this time, because in past games, it seemed that the increased damage of two handed weapons was not high enough to make up for the lower attack rate and lack of the ability to carry a shield, and in Skyrim, the fact that, as far as I know, you can't use spells at all with a two handed weapon equipped further complicates things.

Damage output would be the classical balancing factor in giving up a shield, a second weapon -- or in the case of Skyrim, a spell -- in favor of a two-hander. I'm not sure unbalancing perks would be a good way of balancing equipment selection, so I don't think "good 2-hander perks" would or should make up for the inherent benefits of dual wielding. I suspect the availability of blocking (or at least more effective blocking) will be a factor too; and combined with higher average damage output, it should balance out more than sufficiently for the purposes of a single player RPG.

I realize some May simply choose RP over logic, but that’s not an acceptable reason for Beth to slack when it comes to 2h weapons. I remember Goldbrand being 3x more damage than my Daedric Claymore (due to the effect on Goldie.) but I still preferred the Claymore for looks and awesomeness. I know that’s unique 1h vs a plain old 2h (I later enchanted it to break armor) but it’s at a standstill the same idea. I used spears in Morrowind because of the extra reach. You could get on a rock and poke a guard to death and end up with a very good starter set of armor, or decent $ from selling it.

I am sure it'll be balanced. We're talking an entire skill tree here, not just a couple weapons. 2Handers have a plethora of advantages that make up for lack of versatility, namely Reach, Defense, and Raw Power. Everyone talks about Goldbrand and Mehrunes Razor, but Forgets Volendrung. Plus, I have a feeling Legendary weapons will change depending on what your higher skill is. I still think 2h weapon playing will be boring, I mean while you dual weld you can constantly switch to whatever you want depending vs that you fight.