Thread: Size of Oblivion, in comparison with earlier the elder scrolls

Size of Oblivion, in comparison with earlier the elder scrolls

I know that the key attraction through the elder scrolls is the big open world to explore, but I just want to know how much that world has expanded. I'm sure that Oblivion is bigger than Arena, just because the technology has gotten better, but it is to my understanding that you can explore all of Tamriel, not just Cyrodil, so I was wondering how Oblivion and previous TES games macthed up according to size.

Re: Size of Oblivion, in comparison with earlier the elder scrolls

I am afraid that you cannot explore every of Tamriel within Oblivion, only Cyrodiil. As far as size goes, Daggerfall was very large. Bethesda claims the game world was approximately twice the size of Great Britain. By comparison Vvardenfell was approximately 6 square miles in size and Cyrodiil was approximately 8 square miles in size. That’s what I think regarding this. I hope there will be more users view after this.

Arena is quite smaller as compared to the Daggerfall, is also huge in comparison along with the Oblivion. So if we go size wise then the order is Daggerfall, Arena, Oblivion and Morrowin. The first two, uses a little detailed, real size random environment, while the second two draw huge provinces in some kind of scale, putting sites very near each other, but with a great detain and defined environment.

I consider that it’s not so long ago that a few people in the past games section finally put some real numbers to daggerfall and it came out to almost the size of great britain but not quite. Arena had no definite size because it generated content as you walked in the game so it's size is possibly infinite though the game crashes when you walk to far and sometime if you walk straight you walk back to the town you came from, that’s because each town was more its own world so no walking from town to town. So the size comparison would be daggerfall > oblivion > morrowind > arena.

This is an outstanding observation. I've never quite agreed that Oblivion is "bigger" than Morrowind because of the shape of the maps. Let’s all go back to geometry class for a moment. Oblivion's map may have a wider diameter but it has a much less efficient shape. Notice that Morrowind has a much more circular map which is capable of holding more area than whatever amorphous shape Cyrodiil is suposed to be. Cyrodiil's diameter would have to be considerably bigger than that of Morrowind to be able to hold the same area. In all honesty I lack the mathematical skills to determine such a thing accurately so until someone much smarter than me figures it out for sure I will steadfastly disagree that Obvlivion is the bigger game.

This is still my main complain in Oblivion. There is just not enough content for the player to keep him occupied for a long time. It had impressive graphics, improved game play and AI, but it was missing lots of content and variety. That is in my opinion backfired. Other than that, it was a fine game. Even though Morrowind is much smaller than Oblivion, Morrowind seems so much bigger because of the way it was made. Oblivion was basically a straight line to where ever you wanted to go, in Morrowind it was never a straight line, unless you had levitate.