Thread: Morrowind vs. Oblivion

Morrowind vs. Oblivion

I would like to know that how many people are going to turn the tables to Oblivion vs. Skyrim when Skyrim is released. People are never satisfied, no matter what developers try to do. I mean, even I will whole-heartedly defend Morrowind over Oblivion, but I highly doubt the same is going to be said in comparison of Oblivion to Skyrim. Even with the little information/teaser video we have, it already seems entirely more epic than Oblivion.

Re: Morrowind vs. Oblivion

It occurs with the release of each new ES game. Daggerfall fans complained regarding the changes in Morrowind. Morrowind fans complained about the changes in Oblivion. Oblivion fans will complain about any and all changes made in Skyrim. That's what being a fan all is about. It never stopped happening. People have been speaking with certainty that Skyrim will be so much better/worse than the other games since long before it was even announced.

I don't know regarding others, but I feel that I would not be dissatisfied this time, or more accurately I will be disappointed, because I have a lot of great ideas for a great RPG but few of them would be in Skyrim. But on the whole, I would feel that they have done their best and will be content with it, because they would not repeat their glaring mistakes with Oblivion, and without those mistakes, a BGS game is equivalent with a masterpiece. I know and I am resigned about the fact that in the wealth of lore and complexity of dialogs and quests, none will reach the Morrowind level because voiced dialogs will prevent that but it would not result in Skyrim not being a masterpiece.

I cannot say that I was dissatisfied when Oblivion was released; it was just in far contrast to what Morrowind represented to me. Oblivion was a great game in its own right, but Morrowind was a much better game in regards to the depth of story, variability of landscape and NPC's, and such a rich backstory. Oblivion was very pretty to look at, and had some cool quests, but it just didn't deliver the same experience as Morrowind did. So while Oblivion was not a disappointment, it was a degradation in game quality due to the constraints presented to the design team.

Skyrim will possibly accurate Oblivions mistakes, hopefully without reinstating Morrowinds mistakes. I don't think it's gonna end, in most of the OB vs MO debates it's not about what's actually true, it's more about who gets the last word, some people just can't handle if things don't correlate with their view of things. The quickest way to get someone to not think about what is actually discussed, is to write that one of them is featured in one of the games, and people will than vote on principle rather than thought.

If the game is good enough, and truly manages to incorporate the best of both "styles" of play, it could become a moot point (here's hoping). Of course, there's always room for "adjustments", and while complaining generally won't get you anywhere, it gives you something to do while you're not playing the game.