Thread: The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: Archery

The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: Archery

I am in no way criticizing this game (especially since I don't have a lot of info to go on), but it seems like the other combat styles are flashier... Magic users can call storms, combine spells, and lay magic traps, while warriors have a different finishing move per weapon and enemy. I always play an archer type character (ranger, etc). So does anyone have any good ideas/hopes for archery combat? Will we have finishing moves? Different types of magic arrows (flaming, ice, etc). Water arrows for better sneaking? I know we have bullet time, but isn't that also a dragon shout type?

Re: The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: Archery

I think that Bethesda has focused alchemy a lot more around archery and also I think they have increased the damage bows do as in oblivion it almost made archery pointless in my opinion. The amount of arrows I had to get through to kill somebody, arrows are normally meant as a 1 shot kill when sneaking yet on hard they never did. Anyway I like to play as a archer so I hope they change it to suit that game play more for those who chooses to play it.

I understand the desire for realistic archery (I'm a bow hunter in real life after all) but I was hoping for flashier abilities as an archer as you get up in level. I think various arrow powers would help a lot with this -being able to set things on fire, etc. Just to give us more options for dealing with a given situation. More damage is definitely welcome and I love the idea of multiple arrows at once too. If there were three cursors and it could be a mini game of sorts (not really) of lining up each cross hair with an enemy trying to get that three shot kills.

As for finishing moves, a neck shot for a spurting bleed out, pinning to the wall, a shot between the eyes, an arrow to the foot to pin them to the floor before you stick another arrow into their face... I'd be cool with any of these. I liked the concept they had in that 1 game where you could attach a rope to a arrow and shoot the arrow into stuff then climb or pull the rope towards you. They should have something like that or where if you upgrade your archery skill you can fire 2 arrows at once, fire tipped arrows would be cool too if you could light stuff or baddies with it, or light a dark tunnel quickly before you walk down it.

I am not actually certain how an archery finishing move would work. Personally, like many others, I prefer a stealth character with strong archery skills and I've always seen it as sort of an unblemished, pure method of dispatching an enemy. Where wizards are all about flashy spell effects and glitter, and warriors get aroused by decapitations and spurting blood, I feel like my thief dude is happy with his low-profile, quiet kills. I am not out to impress anybody.

I know there's slow time perk, and I too read somewhere that there will be bashing with the bow. Though it won't do nearly as much damage as a sword, axe, or mace, but it would be great to finish off that last bit of health any enemy would have. I felt that the bow's regular damage was not very good. The stealth bonus damage was great and would often kill my enemies with one shot, but if I were fighting a higher leveled mob or an NPC, that didn't die in one hit, it would take forever to finish them off. More often than not having to switch to my dagger. God forbid they had a shield.

Not read through the thread, only the OP so. Anyway, in Age of Conan (the MMO) you can get Archery fatalities (finishing moves) on enemies. Would basically be things like them getting hit in the eye and slumping slowly to the ground while holding their head, or shot first in the leg and kneeling/falling only to get a second arrow to the chest and so forth? I think there was one where you hit someone in the throat and they go down spewing blood.

One thing I would absolutely love for them to implement would be the ability to make poison arrows with alchemy. These could be one of two types 1) Deadly poison that drains life slowly and kills within the first 10-20 seconds. And 2: Tranquilizer poision that knocks out enemies. If I am playing an archer and want to knock out a few guards so that I can sneak by into a castle, I would love to be able to hid in the bushes at night and drop a couple of guards without actually killing anyone before getting away with my loot. (Of course they would have to not be omnipotent and awake knowing where I was and that I was responsible).