Thread: Thieves Guild in The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

Thieves Guild in The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

Well we know that the Thieves Guild is confirmed as one of the couple of major guilds that are in the game and they are based out of Riften. I liked the Thieves guild in Oblivion it was a lot of fun doing the quests although they did have some silly rules but then again they needed the rules or else it would be a Dark Brotherhood copycat or the guards would start cracking down on them. My question to you is this do you think the Thieves Guild quests in Skyrim can be better then what Oblivion or Morrowind did and what type of quests do you think you would want to do in the Thieves guild.

Re: Thieves Guild in The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

I am just hoping it's not another jolly "Merry Men" type of deal that doesn't make sense in how it operates. I want something more vicious, more cutthroat. Like the Thieves' Guild in Thief, who will slit your throat if you dare do your stealing independently. Or the Shadow Thieves of Amn, who are not above blackmail, protection racketeering, smuggling, trading slaves, and cold-blooded murder, and are so powerful, they run half of Athkatla. Thieves are criminals; after all, folks stuck on the lowest rung of the social ladder that has chosen to ignore the law.

The Grey Fox wasn't that bad. He had one hell of a curse on him too, so I kind of felt for him. If you found that secret note in the quest to find the crystal ball - he came clean about what the Grey Cowl does and how he hates what it has done to him. It kind of adds another dimension to the guy. In all honesty I liked him much better than Lucian. While Lucian fit his role absolutely perfectly - the Grey Fox is a person whom is forced to fit his role, but not in a bad way of course. The role uses the curse to make the character fit, and that makes the whole role of the Grey Fox rather unique.

I did love the concept of the Thieves Guild in Oblivion, and a few of the missions were pretty excellent, but on the whole I thought the Dark Brotherhood actually offered a more rewarding experience for a stealth player and I at a standstill hold that and "Scheduled for Execution" are two of the best quests in the entire game. So if Skyrim can combine the ambiance of the Thieves Guild with the truly phenomenal gameplay of the Dark Brotherhood, they will have made something magical.

I would like a sense of more disparity in the Thieves guild like they need to steal to survive unlike oblivion where they seemed to just steal so they could give a beggar a coin. I would also quite like it if in the Thieves guild, as you progress in money through stealing stuff, so do other characters instead of they all stay their poor selves apart from 1 or 2 who got a higher ranking in the Thieves guild but never any better material wise.

Both organizations work very differently. The Dark Brotherhood, though illegal, is at a standstill providing a service to the people of Tamriel. You want someone dead, you come to them. The Thieves Guild, on the other hand, is largely self-serving; it monopolizes criminal activity. You some lowdown scumbag who steals for profit? Then they will come to you to profit off of the fruits of your "labor." And ideally, threaten to break your kneecaps if you don't accept their offer.

Rather than being one or the other - well-intentioned or selfish and mercenary - I'd like to see there be some tension in the Thieves Guild between members who have their own ideas about how the organization ought to be run. After all, it makes no sense that all the thieves in Skyrim would meekly cooperate with each other. That way the player's rise to the top isn't so ABCD linear. Depending on who you support or alienate, what help you enlist, etc. your version of the guild would operate very differently.