Thread: The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: Dynamic Class Titles

The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: Dynamic Class Titles

How would you feel about the game recognizing what skills you use the most and assigning a class title? The title wouldn't be permanent. If you change your most used skills the title would change. I already know people are going to freak out and say, "Dude, it's confirmed there are no classes." I'm not talking about that. This is entirely separate and something I would probably mod. The class titles would have no bearing on gameplay and would just be for fun/role-playing. For example, you use a sword, shield, heavy armor and speech craft often so the game says, "Alright, you're playing as a Knight."

Re: The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: Dynamic Class Titles

Not seeing any point whatsoever, so I don't see any point in wasting developer time with implementation. The only practical point I can possibly see would be what NPCs call you, and I always found that to be lame to start with unless you're required to wear a uniform that clearly displays your trade. Seriously, how do they tell what class/occupation you are at a glance? I can imagine one or two where your appearance and carried gear might be a dead giveaway, but also very few where 4 people packing the same sort of equipment and wearing the same sort of clothing couldn't easily be in 4 different occupations.

I will miss custom classes for the ability to build a character, define an in game back story via skills and attributes and then continue to define the character as I play. But more on topic: In a way, Oblivion already has a sort of dynamic class title system with the faction page. I enjoy looking at who my character has become based on their faction allegiances and the escalating ranks. I flip to that page now and it could tell me I'm a murderer, knight, grand champion, etc.

You are correct in knowing it won’t be reflected in the game, the only aspect of the game recognizing what the player is up too is through RS and putting enemies against you based on Weaknesses and Strengths, the game is basically meta gaming you. I believe RS covers this without the label people seem to suddenly abhor. Is it, what’s the word, Pivotal? Does it matter? Is it reflected in the game your actions or who you are? No I don't think so, the character can be so fickle at this point, what -would- be the point?

It seems like a happy medium between the class-bound system of Oblivion and the classless system of Skyrim. You are at a standstill not bound to any particular class and there are no gameplay effects but the class titles would still there if you're curious to know what RPG class you're playing as the closest. Let me also reiterate that this is a mod I am planning to create. Using the argument that this is waste of developer time doesn't make sense.

The dynamic class system may not but you could always name your own class if I were to add that feature. However, I plan to try to include as many different classes and sub-classes as possible. I honestly don't think most of you are getting it or aren't realizing how cool it would be just to get a more objective indication of how you're playing. Again, there would be no gameplay effects. It's just a simple title that would probably be visible somewhere in the skills menu.

So you do intend on actually playing the game. I still don't see the appeal of pretending to be just as boring as everyone is in real life, but that's your prerogative, I suppose. I am, however, still confused about why slapping a label on your character is so important to you. It's not like you'll load up your game, find your inventory empty save for clothes and a lute, and wander around confused for lack of a text field that tells you you're a musician.