Thread: Three basic elements in the Elders Scrolls.

Three basic elements in the Elders Scrolls.

I think that there are three main elements in oblivion, fire, ice and shock. Now a little research shows that there was an idea for an air atronach which seems to have been dismissed during Daggerfalls development, however there are certain things which i would like lore answers to. What happened to the iron atronachs, made by the Liac bay mages? Didn't the dunmer lady in SI study and make flesh atronachs, if so how does this explain their presence in daggerfall? I've been reading some hints in the UESP on earth atronachs and water atronachs, is any of this true? Why is it the TES seems to have a focus on these three natural elements rather than the more common system of earth, air, fire, water, shock?

Re: Three basic elements in the Elders Scrolls.

The main elements you refer to according to lore, Tamriel uses the standard medieval elements of Fire, Water, Earth and Air the disappearance of flesh/earth/iron/etc atronaches is simply a design choice on the part of Bethesda. If I remember correctly the atronaches feature in are more daedra, while those previously mentioned are crafted by mages. Oblivion seems to focus on shock, ice, and fire because they are easiest to depict. How would anyone cast a spell to hurt people with earth or air an air atronach, likewise, doesn’t make much sense

Well nobody seems to have answered yet how flesh atronachs exist during daggerfall and why mages stopped building golems, i am referring to oblivion in this case. Both creatures were filling the same nice and looked allot like each other. At the same time it leaves the AI to the Dwemer and their most fanatical students while everybody else goes the more efficient way. Throwing rocks hurts a lot, so maybe an earth-based damage spell could be creating a piece of rock and shooting it at someone. As for air, it's harder to make a direct damage spell with it, but you could have a strong gust of wind to knock them down or blow objects into them or something. And I don't see how an air atronach would make any less sense than a flame atronach or storm atronach.

Yes, because taking one element off the list and replacing air with lightning and in many games, lightning is stuck together with air anyway, probably using the logic that lightning comes from the sky and is therefore related to air or something makes it completely original. And if Bethesda was trying to avoid things that are disgustingly there wouldn't be elves in the game. Still, those are the sorts of things that hurt electricity, fire, and extreme cold. Wind and dirt, as already mentioned, just aren't that impressive unless used on a large scale.

Earth doesn't really have to be just rocks; it could be in the form of anything dealing with nature graphic, like Shamans Earth Shock from which has green leafy effect, or Entangle in the Baldur's Gate games. Besides, if air and earth were represented in other WRPGs and JRPGs decently, I don't see why they could be represent that well in the Elder Scrolls games either. Earth and Air are mundane elements. Lightning, Fire, and Ice aside from providing yet another example of the Mage/Warrior/Thief triune, respectively are divisions of Aetherial energy.

You say that the designers put flesh atronachs in Daggerfall without explanation. Then the only explanation is that they put them in just because. You say there isn't an explanation for the change of elements throughout the TES series. Then the only explanation is that they changed them just because. And I don't know why a Dragon Break would affect the school of magic in such a way that people can't cast certain types of magic anymore.