Thread: The elder scrolls: Would this fit in with the lore?

The elder scrolls: Would this fit in with the lore?

First, this is not a suggestion of what I think actually happened, just a question if it would be theoretically possible for it to be so (for personal reasons, might RP this story while playing the games). After the nerevarine rids him of corprus disease, he is immune to diseases and aging, but apparently disappears sometime between the events of morrowind and those of oblivion. Now, would there be a possibility that the Hero of Kvatch (and perhaps later the Dovakhiin) would infact be the Nerevarine who has returned from Akavir, but tired of the fame and wealth, decided to start a new life in a new province and somehow got thrown in jail?

Re: The elder scrolls: Would this fit in with the lore?

Those heroes are separate and live their own lives accordingly as prophesied by the Elder Scrolls themselves. They are their own person, with only the events during the games mapped out in the Scrolls. Their lives are left open-ended for a purpose. They could not be one in the same. There can't be a hero that's a reincarnate of a Chimer general that happens to save Cyrodiil from Dragon and then turn up later and was a Dovahkiin. It doesn’t work that way.

There are plenty of those around who’s main in OB, MW, and DF is the same guy from Arena. There's a good reason why the hero of each game is kept ambiguous, and somewhat written away in ways that can be hand-waved as a faulty rumor. Arena, totally me who saved the emprah. Daggerall? Was so there and gave the totem to the Underking, but the other agent got stepped on and I'm not sure what happened to the others. Morrowind? Got sick, got better, became the Horator, defeated Dagoth Ur, Alamexia, and Hircine. Oblivion? My jailing was a cover-up, the rumor about Akavir was made up, and I wasn't the one who became the doGdaM. Skyrim? Well, I am immortal, thanks to the corpus disease.

Thanks for the responses! I got exactly what I was hoping for - a mixture of arguments for and against. On the matter of what's prophesized or not. Do we actually know exactly what the elder scrolls say on these heroes? (For my own sake I mainly care about morrowind, oblivion onwards, since morrowind was the first I played, and I find it unlikely that I will explore Daggerfall or even Arena further than reading about the story, but if you want to include those as well into it, go right ahead). I mean, do they actually say things that would contradict themselves in case they were indeed one person?

The elder scrolls tell the tale of the protagonist of every Elder Scrolls game. That's about as specific as it gets. Whatever your Morrowind character did in Morrowind, that's what that elder scroll is written about. I don't think there's any real reason why you can't have the same character across all Elder Scrolls games, you'd just have to wave off a few things mentioned in the series, like the Nerevarine going to Akavir and the Eternal Champion of Arena and the Hero of Daggerfall having two separate birth dates. I think it's HIGHLY improbable, but it's a game series where you can be what you want to be, so why not?

In fact, if the storyline of that one character starts with Morrowind, him going to Akavir a time before the events of Oblivion would make perfect sense (as in, he goes there, does whatever business he did there and returns to the mainland. Since not many outside of Vvardenfell itself would know his face, it's very thinkable that he would be able to go unrecognized. The only thing that might seem strange is his lack of skill after returning to the mainland (although stranger things have happened). But, I'll accept that.

The universe is open enough that you can role play such a scenario. I do think it is a possibility, but also highly improbable. Each major event in the Scrolls seems to be geared towards a specific hero with a specific birth at a specific time, set to fill the role of a specifically fated being (Nevarine, Last defender of the Septim's, Eternal Champion). Despite the ambiguity of some (not all) the heroes' fates, (the CoC for instance is metamorphed by the Grey March) there's still something very specific about the circumstances and fates of the heroes.