Thread: The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: Combat and AI

The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: Combat and AI

Can we expect to see AI of our opponents to be more intelligent and interesting as opposed to the terrible AI of Oblivion and Fallout? One part of the Sky Rim demo makes me a bit worried; when one character snipes someone with a bow and the other NPC's around that person don't re-act in anyway. This was one of my biggest complaints how you could sneak kill an opponent right in front of someone and send their blood and entrails splashing over the that adjacent person, as they stand around not even reacting to what just happened.

Re: The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: Combat and AI

I kind of saw this in a different way. The guy who saw his mate killed stood up and seemed like he went into "alert mode". At least that’s what I think. He reacted, which is good sufficient for me. I'm sure if Todd had allowed the NPC more time he would have began a search for whoever did it. But the initial 3-5 seconds in my mind, would go like that. If I saw a person sitting next to me get shot by an arrow, I would stand up, and pull out my sword. Well actually, I might just run, but this guy is probably brave!

This has been discussed to death, besides, this demo is the same old one they sent showed to journalists ages ago according descriptions of the demo. I would rather have them react slowly without knowing when you are than have the omniscient people from Oblivion who simply ran straight at you while swinging wildly in a pitch black cave. And I would say hes dumb as a rock. He could have at least turned to the direction the arrow came from.

I am starting to come to terms with the fact that Bethesda doesn't focus on dynamic game mechanics no matter how much it's needed. I would easily accept Skyrim at half its size if the game mechanics were on the same level as dark messiah. Adding depth to the map and quests could easily be done through expansions but these filthy game mechanics will be with us to elder scrolls 6 is announced and the only update to combat is parrying with swords.

I watched the video recently without the interview. And from what I could tell they were talking of course we know that. But when the first person was shot. it sounded to me like the other person yelled out their name. If I am correct then they sound fairly intelligent to me. I just want the enemies to be smarter and behave more appropriately depending on the situation. Oblivion and Fallout had horrendous AI for enemy combatants.

I will be disappointed improve upon Oblivions herp derp combat AI. Oblivion combat AI just had them rush you and in no way react to whether you were attacking, blocking, using a bow or casting spells. Maybe he just had a slow reaction time? After watching my friend get hit by an arrow right in front of me, I know that my mind would go blank for a few seconds. So much has been posted over this that those Devs have their hears burning as they now fix the issue.