Thread: Mortals and the Godhead in the elder scrolls

Mortals and the Godhead in the elder scrolls

Namely, why are mortals so special? Because they can reach CHIM? If so, what do they have that other entities do not have? Is it choice? Wild Speculation Alert. If mortals are the ability to choose (and, by CHIM's associations, the will of everything), then that may explain the waxing and waning power of a concept according to the attention paid to it by the masses (we, the everything, approve of your existence), as well as divine intervention (we, the everything, say to do this). Because of this (and the conflicts between various mortal factions), it would seem that the world of mortals has its own, unthinking to-do list.

Re: Mortals and the Godhead in the elder scrolls

There is a central element missing in your outline. When IS and IS NOT ( Anu and Padomay) emerge, they actually have to touch or make contact before Possibility (Arubis) is created Within the Arubis, other spirits form. Anuiel, Sithis, Akatosh, Lorkhan etc. Also the element of choice is always there from the beginning. Anu chooses to create Anuiel for the purpose of self realization. Lorkhan chooses to cajole the ada into creating Mundus.

I have always seen Anu described as a primal force, and not a thinking thing. It seems beyond Anu's ability to touch something, or to choose to create. And the generation of the other spirits still seems to fit with what I've posted. And Lorkhan having choice kind of goes along with mortals having choice. Once he exists, he and all of the concepts associated with creation create (by their very coexistence) Mundus. If there is a problem, it is that some spirits left. But then again, I am not sure that their leaving signifies choice on their part.

Only the Padomaic entities have will. All entities are Padomaic, even Anui-El, created by Padomay to try to understand the unthinking Anu but who rebelled against his father and was then killed by his father's son Sithis. Nirn understands and understanding is love. Thus also did IS and IS not die, as IS made nothing and is nothing, and IS NOT made everything and is everything. The Aurbis is their corpse, just as Mundus is the meat and bones of dead gods.

This works out equally well with the gods, IS, and IS NOT having no wills of their own. If IS was the possibility that nothing (less than nothing really) existed as itself and only itself, then the possibility of IS NOT nothing would have created the possibility of something (or all the something), as something is not nothing. On Anui-El, could it not be that he and Sithis are simply the concepts made possible by the interaction of Anu and Padomay? Anui-El is the possibility that something exists (Aubris) and Sithis is the possibility that the things that exist do not exist as they do.

I don't have enough lore to answer that satisfactorily, but my take would be man and mer are the concepts which trusted Lorkhan the most, and became the most deeply immersed in the Mundus. The concepts do not make the man, merely the context. The less an entity is a concept, the more it has freedom. The entity prime has not even any mind, and the two that he dreamed immediately shattered from paradox.

After reading your comment, I realized that I should have asked a different question. Namely, how many concepts must be in place before mortals can exist? Or maybe they are the idea of a thing that can choose and perceive, and the reality of Mundus is (as you said) simply an environment? Also, do you (the reader) consider men and mer variations on a single concept (a thing that may choose to destroy and to love and to change), or are mortals a combination of all preceding ideas? I personally favor the former.